Virginia???

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Virginia???

Postby JuanMas » July 4th, 2017, 8:09 am

Getting Stationed in Norfolk, Virginia sometime in August. Is spearfishing even a possibility?
JuanMas
noob

Re: Virginia???

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 4th, 2017, 10:55 am

I've never been diving there, but I'm pretty sure I recall reading on other forums about spearing striped bass under the bridges. And if you can get a ride, I think they have offshore spearing for fish like Mahi-Mahi and wahoo.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby JuanMas » July 4th, 2017, 12:10 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:I've never been diving there, but I'm pretty sure I recall reading on other forums about spearing striped bass under the bridges. And if you can get a ride, I think they have offshore spearing for fish like Mahi-Mahi and wahoo.

Thanks Bill! I've heard the NC Outer Banks are worth the trip as well but I'm not familiar with the area at all, let alone the rest of the east coast... Or the Atlantic :confusion-shrug:
JuanMas
noob

Postby Bill McIntyre » July 5th, 2017, 8:18 am

The Outer Banks are definitely worth the trip. I just don't know how different they are from Virginia Beach.

I was stationed at Cherry Point, NC for four years, sort of at the southern end of the outer banks, and dove and fished off of Cape Lookout. There isn't much structure along the sandy beaches, although I had great spearing for flounder up to 18 pounds on a rock breakwater. But offshore there are a lot of wrecks. They call the Cape Hatteras area "the Graveyard of the Atlantic" for good reason. The edge of the continental shelf was about 40 miles off Cape Lookout, although sometimes the Gulf Stream was as close as 20 miles, and I think both are a lot closer to shore off of Hatteras.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby dam » July 6th, 2017, 12:04 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:The Outer Banks are definitely worth the trip. I just don't know how different they are from Virginia Beach.

I was stationed at Cherry Point, NC for four years, sort of at the southern end of the outer banks, and dove and fished off of Cape Lookout. There isn't much structure along the sandy beaches, although I had great spearing for flounder up to 18 pounds on a rock breakwater. But offshore there are a lot of wrecks. They call the Cape Hatteras area "the Graveyard of the Atlantic" for good reason. The edge of the continental shelf was about 40 miles off Cape Lookout, although sometimes the Gulf Stream was as close as 20 miles, and I think both are a lot closer to shore off of Hatteras.

Man, I don't know why but reading this gets me so hot. :sleeping-drool:
dam
sea slayer

Postby Behslayer » July 7th, 2017, 5:35 am

Yes. There can be great diving in the area. There's a bunch of Virginia guys, and some of them have boats and go offshore. Post up on Spearboard as well. Wrightsville Beach, NC has a really solid Spearo community and a lot of those guys are ex military. Check out Sam Blount at Frontline Freediving. Those guys dive a lot and score a lot. I know some of the Virginia guys go up to NC and dive Bluewater for Wahoo and Tuna.. I also know there's some great Wahoo/Mahi diving out of SC.
Behslayer
spearo

Postby Sethster » July 13th, 2017, 4:11 am

Sethster from Virginia here. Total newb (don't blast me too much) to spearfishing but longtime big game land hunter. I am finishing up my freediving class in august and am seeking places as well. I have heard of guys catching some decent togs off the pilons of the cbbt(Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel) as well as Backside of rudee jettee. Cbbt has a series of 4 islands between the bridges. Was just on shore 2 days ago decent weather...to access the first island I think you can just use a kayak. I think it's only about .75 of a mile out. It's just off of Little Creek amphib
I read you can access rudee from parking just across the street and carrying your stuff to access from shore. Almost forgot-if you go north across cbbt there is a state park near kiptopeke that is probably a good place too-they Parked a bunch of old concrete ships for an artificial reef there. Let me know thoughts
Sethster
noob

Postby JuanMas » July 15th, 2017, 10:40 am

Behslayer wrote:Yes. There can be great diving in the area. There's a bunch of Virginia guys, and some of them have boats and go offshore. Post up on Spearboard as well. Wrightsville Beach, NC has a really solid Spearo community and a lot of those guys are ex military. Check out Sam Blount at Frontline Freediving. Those guys dive a lot and score a lot. I know some of the Virginia guys go up to NC and dive Bluewater for Wahoo and Tuna.. I also know there's some great Wahoo/Mahi diving out of SC.

Thanks Jon! I can't tell you how good it is to hear there's a thriving community out there. When I tell people my orders they usually just look at me like I'm terminally ill and quietly apologize :nuts:

I'm excited to get out there and dive something new.
JuanMas
noob

Postby JuanMas » July 15th, 2017, 10:48 am

Sethster wrote:Sethster from Virginia here. Total newb (don't blast me too much) to spearfishing but longtime big game land hunter. I am finishing up my freediving class in august and am seeking places as well. I have heard of guys catching some decent togs off the pilons of the cbbt(Chesapeake bay bridge tunnel) as well as Backside of rudee jettee. Cbbt has a series of 4 islands between the bridges. Was just on shore 2 days ago decent weather...to access the first island I think you can just use a kayak. I think it's only about .75 of a mile out. It's just off of Little Creek amphib
I read you can access rudee from parking just across the street and carrying your stuff to access from shore. Almost forgot-if you go north across cbbt there is a state park near kiptopeke that is probably a good place too-they Parked a bunch of old concrete ships for an artificial reef there. Let me know thoughts

There's a video on youtube of people spearing cobia off of the CBBT as well! Seems like there's some good inshore diving to be had if you don't mind the murk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUO7d1Refj4&t=629s
JuanMas
noob

Postby white_sea_buss » August 18th, 2017, 10:53 pm

Norfolk is a pretty crappy place to be stationed. Sorry about that.

Crappy News:
-Not really any shorediving spots aside from Rudee Inlet, which is pretty small. I only saw silhouettes of sheepshead. They seem to dredge the inlet frequently, so viz was typically awful. Supposedly, some striper do congregate around there in fall.

-Outside of Rudee Inlet, I kayaked out about a mile to the marker bouys and got ~10' viz and shot a triggerfish. I paddled out 3 other times and had 0' viz. That was one of the few reachable spots. Tried an artificial reef in the bay too, no viz though.

-Someone mentioned the artificial reef of concrete ships on the Eastern Shore....cool spot to kayak around, and neat history (the ships' hulls were made of concrete due to a shortage of steel in WW2 (i think, maybe WW1), and were sunk later to create a breakwall for the ferry that ran prior to the CBBT being built), but you won't have any luck diving there.

Good News:
-There is a spearfishing club out there called Mid-Atlantic Long Fins Club (MALFC). I would get in touch with them(they have a website & FB page). They have monthy(ish) meetings and the dive shop they meet at has gotten more involved than most in freediving/spearing(they also have a 15' pool to practice in).

-During the warmer months, there is a quarry about 2 hours inland called Lake Phoenix. A few years ago it was like 5 bucks to get in to snorkel for the day(have to bring a buddy to go in). No spearing, but you can at least scratch the itch to freedive. Goes to 65 feet.

-Most of the charters there are in NC and mostly cater to SCUBA; some of those are spear-friendly.

-You have Mako a couple hours north of you, and Maverick America about 4 hours south. I would get in touch with those guys as well.

-In Virginia Beach there's a microbrewery called Back Bay. They have a killer poke place on one side, and a mexican place on the other (best burrito I found in VA), and they let you bring in food from either. Decent beer too. There's a great breakfast restaurant called Citrus up near little creek. Also a cool coffee place in VB called Badass Coffee.

-
white_sea_buss
noob

Postby greekdiver » September 1st, 2017, 9:17 pm

I grew up in Virginia Beach and was one of the first divers who freedive spearfished the CBBT. You want to dive the CBBT on the pilings not the rocks. The rocks don't hold as much fish. The pilings where they dumped rocks, trucks fell over and bridges fell is where you want to dive. They hold big flounder, Tautog and Sheepshead.

If you have any questions, let me know. The viz is usually good this time of year.
greekdiver
spearo

Return to Spearfishing & Freediving