Ground Fish

Epic mealtime ideas

Ground Fish

Postby Alex Ray » October 10th, 2017, 3:51 pm

Although it falls to third in my hierarchy of food preps, this is an easy recipe for me whenever I get a big yellowtail (#1 - poke/sashimi, #2 - smoked, #3 - fish burgers). I take all cuts not used for poke or sashimi and food process them with whatever recipe I choose. I end up with a big bowl of (essentially) ground fish, which is then ready-to-go for any number of dishes - patties for fish burgers on the grill, oven-baked fishloaf on rice or pasta, pan-fried with scrambled eggs for breakfast, etc. The best part is its just one round of dishes cleaning the food processor, after which it lives in a bowl and I can just grab a ready-made handful whenever I want. My wife and I jammed through 4-5 lbs of ground spicy yellowtail (soy, sesame oil, green onion, mayo, sriracha, etc) just recently, and let me tell you, with a three week old in the house it helped tremendously to only do the heavy prep just once.

I have no pictures, but it looks how you'd expect it to look.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Re: Ground Fish

Postby Bill McIntyre » October 11th, 2017, 3:51 am

Alex Ray wrote:
I have no pictures, but it looks how you'd expect it to look.

That's what I'm afraid of.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » December 10th, 2017, 7:49 am

Alex do you use a filler for that? My wife buys salmon burgers and man they are out of this world but I'm not sure how to bind it.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby NaClAddict » December 10th, 2017, 10:21 am

I have used panko crumbs and an egg for filler and binder
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby castronova » December 11th, 2017, 5:55 am

I do something very similar. I usually make fish fritters, adding flour, egg, parsley, olive oil, salt/pepper then spoon into the fry daddy.

Another thing that may be appealing, I do this with fish dip from the smoker but you can use the same "ground fish", make a quick dip with cream cheese and/or mayo, diced grilled onions, olive oil, seasoning (garlic powder, onion powder, seasoning salt) and make a fish spread eggs Benedict. Its delicious and usually creamy enough i don't even go through the process of making hollandaise.

I have a whole bag right now of the lesser cuts of a few big wahoo. You gave me inspiration to use it.
castronova
prick

Postby Alex Ray » March 6th, 2018, 10:48 am

chris oak wrote:Alex do you use a filler for that? My wife buys salmon burgers and man they are out of this world but I'm not sure how to bind it.

Panko and egg
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Return to Recipes