no soggy sashimi

Epic mealtime ideas

no soggy sashimi

Postby dariian » October 19th, 2017, 7:06 am

I bleed, gill and gut in the water or soon after on the boat. Then wrap what I want that week in paper towels and then in plastic wrap or zip lock, wait a day or so and the sashimi comes out perfect.

The problem is after freezing... I'll pull the fish, open the food saver and usually set in another zip lock in the fridge and let thaw for a day. When I pull it out it's usually offcolor, slimy and the taste is usually a little off. I end up cutting off the top layers to get to the good stuff. I know it'll never be as good as fresh or flash frozen but what can be done to not lose so much after freezing?

It was recommended to immediately wrap the frozen fish in paper towels when thawing or to dip the frozen fish in a salt brine then thaw.
dariian
spearo

Re: no soggy sashimi

Postby phil herranen » October 19th, 2017, 7:21 am

The faster you freeze it the better it will turn out. Don't just dump a bunch of vac bags in the chest freezer in a pile , it can take days for it all to freeze solid , it's better to turn the temp on your freezer as low as it will go and take your vac bags that have been chilled in the fridge and put them a few at a time in the freezer on a cookie sheet , when they are solid do more until you are done .

When something freezes quickly the crystals are small ,when it freezes slowly the crystals are very large .

They larger crystals damage the cell walls more and when you thaw it out the liquid lears out of the damaged cells

You can also flash freeze with dry ice , that's what I do in Baja when I drive down
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby dariian » October 19th, 2017, 7:34 am

Thanks Phil. What is your technique for dry ice flash freezing? It's relatively cheap and if I'm doing a big batch it sounds less time consuming.
dariian
spearo

Postby chris oak » October 19th, 2017, 10:42 am

Dariian a lot has to do with the type of fish and how long you freeze it. Some fish like rockfish seem to do well when frozen while others like white seabass or tuna don't seem to do as well.

Prep helps me out a lot, I make sure that I try to cut out all the blood pieces, on yellowtail and tuna you'll see a dark band of it that runs along the lateral line, it's triangular shaped and cuts out easily. I also don't rinse in any freshwater, only salt. If it's a fish I've frozen for more than two months and I'm eating it as sashimi, you almost can never get away from a slight discoloration and also I always cut off the first few mm's of meat, it will be an obvious color difference than the rest of it. You can try using papertowels on the skin side when you are defrosting to keep the juices off the meat, there's a lot of enzymes in the slime on the skin/scale side that are bad for the meat.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » October 19th, 2017, 10:48 am

this was a post from dennis may years ago:
Found a nice little instructional on how to flash freeze fish with dry ice.

http://www.dryicesource.com/dryice/freezingfish.php

Recommended Equipment:
Ice chest; deeper chests help contain the cold;
Heavyweight aluminum foil;
Aluminum pans, any size which will serve as "freezing pans"; freezing will work better if each pan holds one fish portion in a single layer;
Wax or parchment paper;
Gloves and tongs;
Pump-N-Seal ® (or similar) vacuum food sealer, to pull all the air or carbon dioxide out of the freezer bags.
Procedure
Place a layer of dry ice, about 3 inches thick, in the bottom of the ice chest, covered with a sheet of heavy foil or brown paper. This will help prevent the pans (used to hold the food portions) from sticking to the dry ice.

Arrange filets one layer deep in the freezing pans on a double layer of waxed paper. If the filets freeze to the top layer, just cut between filets leaving the paper in place. The paper will be a divider and can be removed after thawing.

Place in the ice chest, close the lid, but do not seal the lid. The dry ice will sublimate (change from solid to gas without becoming liquid) and the gas pressure could become dangerously high in a sealed container. Allow the filets to sit in the chest for 20 to 30 minutes. Once fish filets are frozen, remove from the freezer chest, put into storage bags, remove air much as possible.

The Pump-N-Seal® or similar device makes sealing easier. Trapped air space is one of the causes of freezer burn. Evacuation of all air from the freezer bag will produce better and longer-lasting frozen food.

Transfer frozen fish filets to your freezer, or another ice chest with dry ice. If you are planning to store the fish filets in the freezer for more than 4 months, double bag or combine several smaller-portion bags into a larger bag and vacuum seal that, as well. This gives added protection against freezer burn.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dariian » October 19th, 2017, 10:55 am

Thanks Chris. I notice this mostly with palagics. Never had the same issue with reef fish.

I cut out as much of the blood line as possible before freezing and if it makes sense to, leave the skin intact. I figure the skin is pretty good at protecting the meat so why remove it. Once defrosted the meat under the skin is in good shape.
dariian
spearo

Postby dariian » October 19th, 2017, 11:12 am

chris oak wrote:this was a post from dennis may years ago:

Recommended Equipment:
Aluminum pans, any size which will serve as "freezing pans"; freezing will work better if each pan holds one fish portion in a single layer;
Wax or parchment paper;
Gloves and tongs;
Pump-N-Seal ® (or similar) vacuum food sealer, to pull all the air or carbon dioxide out of the freezer bags.
Procedure
Place a layer of dry ice, about 3 inches thick, in the bottom of the ice chest, covered with a sheet of heavy foil or brown paper. This will help prevent the pans (used to hold the food portions) from sticking to the dry ice.

Arrange filets one layer deep in the freezing pans on a double layer of waxed paper. If the filets freeze to the top layer, just cut between filets leaving the paper in place. The paper will be a divider and can be removed after thawing.

Place in the ice chest, close the lid, but do not seal the lid. The dry ice will sublimate (change from solid to gas without becoming liquid) and the gas pressure could become dangerously high in a sealed container. Allow the filets to sit in the chest for 20 to 30 minutes. Once fish filets are frozen, remove from the freezer chest, put into storage bags, remove air much as possible.

The Pump-N-Seal® or similar device makes sealing easier. Trapped air space is one of the causes of freezer burn. Evacuation of all air from the freezer bag will produce better and longer-lasting frozen food.

Transfer frozen fish filets to your freezer, or another ice chest with dry ice. If you are planning to store the fish filets in the freezer for more than 4 months, double bag or combine several smaller-portion bags into a larger bag and vacuum seal that, as well. This gives added protection against freezer burn.

This is great! I wonder if vac sealing first before freezing would also work.
dariian
spearo

Postby phil herranen » October 19th, 2017, 2:43 pm

dariian wrote:
chris oak wrote:this was a post from dennis may years ago:

Recommended Equipment:
Wax or parchment paper;
Gloves and tongs;
Procedure

This is great! I wonder if vac sealing first before freezing would also work.

That's more or less how I do it ,dry ice is hard on vac bags so normaly I vac bag after freezing .

When I go to Baja I bring a couple c02 bottles and a frost wand ,that way I have dry iceand the ability to cool fish when I want it no mater how remote i am
phil herranen
Herranen Spearguns

Postby Behslayer » October 20th, 2017, 5:25 am

One trick is Get some Sea Salt. Then you can mix this in Drinking water at home in a controlled environment and do the last steps. Cut, but cut like you would for Sashimi. Like long squares. Dry and Vacuum Seal or wrap tightly with saran and then vacuum seal. Then freeze. Like Phil says, you need Air Circulation in the freezer. When time for Cut, you can slice off a few mm around the square when frozen. Give the core a quick dip in a Salt brine, But then cut the Sashimi while still frozen. Plate it while still frozen and serve just as it thaws. I think the issue might be the Defrosting. Once fish Defrosts and sits.. is when it becomes dead.
Behslayer
kook

Return to Recipes