DIY Kombucha Drink

Epic mealtime ideas

DIY Kombucha Drink

Postby chris oak » December 9th, 2017, 5:48 pm

This is not a fish recipe but it's something I've been doing for a few months now. I have a weak gut, got tested for H pylori bacteria ten or so years ago and it was negative. Still had problems with digestion until I got that gnarly pneumonia after diving sick a few years ago and they put me on so many antibiotics it killed off whatever was making me sick because my stomach got rock solid when the flora was reestablished. It was good for a few years and then slowly I started having problems again.

My buddy started drinking Kombucha because he also has problems and he claimed it helps out, I was skeptical but I tried a bottle. Then he tells me right after I drink it, "oh yeah, sometimes after the first bottle you might have the runs". He was right and man did my gut kill me a half hour afterwards. But after that I noticed a slight difference and then started to drink it regularly and it seemed to help out a lot. But it's about 2.50-3.50 a bottle, one of my other buddies at work has been doing it so I read up on it and it's super easy. I don't know if it's a placebo thing or what but man my gut is much better at digesting things again so I'll keep it up. There's a variety of health benefits from drinking it, if you do a search you'll read up a ton but its loaded with antioxidents.

Here's my simple recipe.

I bought my starter Kombucha scoby from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Poseymom-Kombuch ... ucha+scoby it's like 7 bucks. I also bought a one gallon glass jar there and some cheese cloth too. You will need some bottles too but I scabbed some off my coworkers who buy their kombucha from the store.

1. Boil 1 gallon of water, add 1 cup sugar and stir till it dissolves, then add 8 black tea bags to it and steep for 4 minutes.
2. Remove tea bags and let the tea cool to room temp, this will take a few hours.
3. Put the tea into a gallon glass jar, add your scoby and starter tea (you need a cup at least) and cover with a cheesecloth and a rubber band. I set this on top of my fridge to keep it slightly warm so the bacteria can do it's thing.
4. Let the scoby do it's thing for anywhere from 5 days to a week. You will know when it's done with the primary fermentation because it will become naturally carbonated (fizzy) and will taste slightly sweet and slightly bitter.
5. After the primary fermentation, remove scoby and one cup of tea and set aside. Ladle the rest of the mix into glass bottles until it's about an inch or two from the top. I'm lazy so I add about a tablespoon of raw cut ginger and about 2 tsp of frozen orange juice concentrate 100 percent. Put the lid on and set it aside in the garage for the secondary fermentation.
6. Repeat steps 1-3 for the new batch of tea with your scoby and set on top of the fridge again to prepare for your next batch.
7. Every day when I feed the dogs I turn the kombucha bottles to stir them and open them to vent them so they don't explode. It takes anywhere from 3-5 days for mine to get right, it should fizz like soda when you open it and be slightly sweet. The time changes depending on how hot or cold it is, when it was super cold a few weeks ago it took a day longer, with the santa anas raging it took a day sooner. If you like it sweeter you can drink it sooner. If you like it fermented you can wait longer than a week and it tastes more like beer. If you wait too long it will taste like vinegar.

There are a lot of different kinds of fruit you can do for the secondary fermentation but I'm lazy so I do the same thing over and over. Each batch results in 7 full bottles that cost probably a quarter to make as a hundred tea bags are a whopping 4 dollars and the frozen juice is like 2 bucks a can and you only use a little each time. I actually make 10 bottles a week now because I throw the teabags into a half gallon of water/sugar after the first gallon, the ten bottles last me exactly a week so I know when to start the next batch. Your scoby will split almost every 2-3 weeks and you can leave it in there or give it away to your friends. I started two other of my coworkers on it with the scobys that I had when they split. It's gross looking and looks and feels exactly like a dead moon jellyfish. I always pull off the brown stringy stuff before reusing even though it's probably better to keep them on.

My coworkers said that mine taste better than any they've bought.

btw it sounds like a pita but it only takes me about a half hour and that includes washing out the bottles before I start pouring the tea into them, I do it while I'm watching tv.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: DIY Kombucha Drink

Postby Steve G » December 9th, 2017, 8:16 pm

I truly admire you and others who concoct your own tinctures but I got a sewer gut that can handle anything so I'll stick to my ale. Glad its working for you.
Steve G
kook

Re: DIY Kombucha Drink

Postby dariian » December 12th, 2017, 9:24 pm

My wife has been doing this for a while, I wasn't a fan at first but I love it now. Instead of putting it into bottles we use a large glass container with a spigot we keep in the fridge. It keeps it from fermenting more once you have it where you want it. Apparently you can make jerky out of the scoby and it will also fix your moon chakras or whatever but we usually just give away the extra or bury in the garden.
dariian
spearo

Return to Recipes