AGM batteries

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

AGM batteries

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 4th, 2018, 10:13 am

Over on weird board Bob Ballew was asking for recommendations to replace his flooded lead acid batteries, and a couple of people said he should go with Absorbent Gas Mat batteries, so I Googled them. Apparently they last longer and it would be nice not to have to stand on my head and stretch my bad back to add water, but there seem to be lots of brands and sizes and they are pretty pricey with a wide variation in prices.I'd appreciate any advice by people who use them, along with which brand you would recommend and where to buy them. I'd be replacing my group 27 flooded lead acid batteries.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: AGM batteries

Postby Donzi Paul » August 4th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I recommend optima red top battery's . Very long service life if maintained/charged. The more expensive yellow top is not worth the extra bucks. I use redtops in every thing I have.
Battery Mart Costa Mesa
Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Donzi Paul » August 4th, 2018, 12:48 pm

left you a PM Bill.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Westbury » August 6th, 2018, 9:13 pm

I've used Interstate AGM and Diehard AGM on a couple of my boats.
Westbury
kook

Postby greekdiver » August 7th, 2018, 6:02 am

Optima blue tops. I had them for 8 years before one died. I have a battery charger on the boat, and I keep it plugged when I get back home.
greekdiver
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » August 7th, 2018, 7:08 am

Thanks for the input. I talked to my mechanic and he doesn’t think they would be worth the extra cost for me. I don’t have a need for a house battery since I’m not running a bait pump, a microwave, a refrigerator, etc with the engine shut down. About the only thing I run is anchor lights on the rare occasion that I spend the night, and I can switch to a single battery for that to preserve the other one for starting in the morning. And the dry storage area at the harbor doesn’t have any power so I can’t use a charger.

I think I’m better off sticking to my Costco batteries and being prepared to replace them every two years or so.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to Boat Maintenance