Where'd the white sharks go?

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Where'd the white sharks go?

Postby Andrew » October 1st, 2019, 1:50 pm

Given the marked uptick in white shark activity off of our coast over the last five to ten years, I thought it was interesting that Bloomberg published a piece https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-09-30/as-great-white-sharks-disappear-cape-town-searches-for-reasons on the purported disappearance of whites from False Bay in South Africa.

Maybe they heard about that Chris Oak guy who runs SpearingForum and wanted to get a closer look on the backside of Cat?
Andrew
polespearo

Re: Where'd the white sharks go?

Postby Bill McIntyre » October 1st, 2019, 2:07 pm

A lot of them seem to have gone to Cape Cod. Sunday night's 60 Minutes had a fascinating segment on East Coast great whites. They have become thicker than flies off Cape Cod, apparently responding to the great increase in grey seals. It showed video of them cruising right off the beach, just like they were in Capistrano Beach a couple of years ago. Guys were out of the end of bow planks sticking tags into them, and seals were lined up at the water's edge. They had one video of a seal leaping out of the water with a shark after it, and then finally catching it. They also showed one leaping up and almost biting the plank that a tagger was standing on.

They say that the tags show that they migrate clear down the East Coast and into the Gulf of Mexico. They also go out into the middle of the Atlantic and dive to 3000 feet, but they can't figure out why.

And then it moved to Nova Scotia. Apparently there are lots of sharks up there, even though no one knew it until recently. They had a special big boat rigged for research. They would hook a shark and get it up beside the boat, and then raise a massive platform that lifted the shark out of the water. Then a team would jump down, stick a hose down the shark's mouth to run water over its gills and do all kinds of stuff- take tissue and blood samples, insert a tag into its abdomen, drill holes through the dorsal fin to bolt on a tab that transmitted position every time the fin was out of water, etc. Their goal was to get it all done in 15 minutes max. Then the platform was lowered back into the water and a guy would herd the shark off the end and make it swim away.

If you can see it, check it out.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Andrew » October 2nd, 2019, 1:44 pm

Thanks for the pointer, Bill. I poked around for a minute and turned this video up https://www.cbsnews.com/video/shark-sighting-great-white-shark-devours-seal-researchers-show-how-sharks-are-tagged-in-60-minutes-report-2019-09-29/ for anyone else who might be interested.

Your comment about the 3,000 foot dives in the Atlantic reminded me of something I'd read about a "great white shark cafe" in the Pacific a few months ago.

Here's the link to a Quartz piece about it if you're so inclined https://qz.com/1395042/scientists-reveal-secret-white-shark-cafe-in-pacific-ocean/
Andrew
polespearo

Postby chris oak » October 2nd, 2019, 8:44 pm

I think that's the data I saw at the monterey white shark talk a few years back. It was crazy, they showed all the sharks pretty much moving between the mainland and hawaii and weren't sure if it was a mating event or what.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » October 7th, 2019, 9:25 am

Man, this kind of stuff blows my mind. I hope the scientists figure out one day.
dam
diving god

Return to Sitting Topside