DIY “spearfishing” gloves

Made something extra cool or fixed something broken? Help a brother out!

DIY “spearfishing” gloves

Postby grometito » October 9th, 2019, 5:11 pm

First post and it’s pretty dumb/useless but it’s just a little experiment I did.

I have access to a variety of different types of gloves at work and the ones I use the most are oddly similar to gloves you’ll see at the shops for $25+.

I as well as a couple buddies have used these gloves for diving a few different times and they are pretty much the same as what’s on the market, most brands probably get them from the same factory.

The only thing is that they’re bright blue, and while that’s great for finding them if you lose them, it’s not “cool” and doesn’t really go aesthetically with most other dive gear.

So out of curiosity I picked up some dye to see how it would turn out if I tried to dye the gloves. I got it for $4 or so, you can find it on amazon or a variety of stores pretty much anywhere. I picked the synthetic version and in black.

I followed the instructions on the bottle and the results are below.

I would say it turned out pretty good, we will see how they hold up!
grometito
noob

Re: DIY “spearfishing” gloves

Postby castronova » October 9th, 2019, 5:46 pm

For the same reason, high cost, I started using Mechanix gloves from Autozone a while back. I use them for yard work, diving, as batting gloves for softball, etc. They are $13-16 a pair and last just as long as long as anything else.
castronova
prick

Postby kavachi » October 10th, 2019, 10:15 pm

thanks for the recco Grometito
Hyflex 11-927’s my favourite glove, similar to those in the pic except they have grit grip. Havent managed to find them anywhere near as cheap as the more popular Hyflex dyneema gloves tho, bout USD$20 a pair landed in Aust
kavachi
polespearo

Postby dariian » October 11th, 2019, 8:29 am

When I need new gloves I head straight to Home Depot and try a bunch on.I wish they had booties like Argos.
dariian
spearo

Return to DIY's: Do it yourself