Dreaming of Baja

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Dreaming of Baja

Postby dam » October 31st, 2019, 12:17 pm

Our first day was a wash. The wind persistent wind had brought up cold water and muddied up the shores. We searched high and low for some decent diving but those spots were hard to come by. Still, it was a nice change from some CA diving. One of the spots we tried had patches of palm kelp. The current was running enough for us to keep an eye out for some yellowtails. Unfortunately, they never came in. I took to the reef and found some crevices surprisingly holding tropical spiny lobsters and barred pargos.

Can you spot the kelp parrotfish?

The next morning, we went off shore where the visibility was promised to be better. It was slightly so. Nothing stellar, but enough to send a couple of curious pelagics our way. They didn't all want to play. We had to work hard and coordinate well to convert the few opportunities with these weary fish. Brock from Palapas Ventana did an amazing job keeping us in the right zone. We were able to close out the day with a couple of fatty yellowtails, small wahoos and grouper.

That night, we convened to come up with a better plan. We could stay on the spot. There was enough fish to keep us happy. But the vis wasn't as good as we had hoped and the temp was definitely below what my manly physique was comfortable with. We made a last minute decision to move on and went to bed to the gentle sound of the motors. When I first slipped into that deep blue water and there was no initial jolt from the temp, I thought that maybe it was a dream. Then the first school of wahoos materialized and didn't immediately fade, I knew for sure. Oh well, let's drift a little further into that bliss.

Are you fumbling with your gun? Let me take a look.

On this drift, I heard a gun go off behind me and turned around just in time to see an absolute pig barreling by. It took some time and effort to subdue.
The camo on these fish...

It was one of the best days of diving I've ever had. It was the definition of high-octane nonstop actions. But like everything, it had to end. That night, we cruised back to port with not the usual bruised egos but bruised hands. Daniel dubbed it "wahoo palm". It's a terrible condition, wouldn't wish that upon my enemies.

A nice send-off sequence for the viewers:
dam
diving god

Re: Dreaming of Baja

Postby 32juan » October 31st, 2019, 2:37 pm

Dam...

I mean... damn!

Awesome pictures, great storytelling, and tons of new reasons to hate you.

Thanks for sharing
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » October 31st, 2019, 2:45 pm

Wonderful!
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Andrew » October 31st, 2019, 2:52 pm

Dam, you sandbagged the *shit* out of the photos with your description. I halfway expected to see nothing but photos of señoritas on the reef after I read your opening paragraph. :D

beautiful photos - some of the wahoo shots and the grouper up in the water column are first rate. Thank so much for sharing as always.
Andrew
polespearo

Postby Styspearo » October 31st, 2019, 3:20 pm

Very nice photos ! And great catches !

The barracuda shoal is just amazing...
And yes, I spotted right away the parrotfish. It's a very common species here and I hunted it for years, and still do when there is nothing better to go after.
Styspearo
noob

Postby dam » November 1st, 2019, 10:33 am

Thanks, guys. I actually didn't see that parrotfish until I was going through the photos at home. It was in all the photos right in front of me the entire time! I need to work on my hunting. :rofl:
dam
diving god

Postby Pfish » November 3rd, 2019, 6:47 am

Great Photos! Seems like you had more fun shooting fish with a camera than a gun! Congrats!!!
Pfish
noob

Postby Donzi Paul » November 3rd, 2019, 7:34 am

Thanks Dam..outstanding. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Cheers,Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Behslayer » November 3rd, 2019, 10:43 pm

It didn't Suck. Wow those are some great pics of the Wahoos and the Third person perspective of the Hunt! Looks like an awesome time, now immortalized by camera.
Behslayer
kook

Postby mikeme » November 4th, 2019, 9:11 am

Wow just awesome
mikeme
kook

Postby Turtle » November 6th, 2019, 9:41 am

You're still ugly... :confusion-shrug:
Hteik

Dam: "Biiiiitch! 10% of your posts is talking about beers. The rest is talking shit on me
Turtle
kook

Postby daveheinrich3 » November 15th, 2019, 7:58 am

Mind-blowing shots man! Well done. Were you guys using Aussie line?
daveheinrich3
polespearo

Postby dam » November 15th, 2019, 10:47 am

daveheinrich3 wrote:Mind-blowing shots man! Well done. Were you guys using Aussie line?

Are you referring to the stiff dyneema as shooting line? If so, yes on a couple of the guns.
dam
diving god

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 15th, 2019, 11:08 am

email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Return to California & Baja