Soupfin Shark, Blacks, Cabs

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Soupfin Shark, Blacks, Cabs

Postby BigJim » November 8th, 2019, 10:38 am

Paddled out last Sunday to explore a new (for me) stretch of coast.

Took while to find the fishies, but eventually got in the groove and took a handful of quality tasty Rockfish (biggest was a 21.75 inch Black) and 2 cabs (bigger at 23 inches).

"Highlight" of the day was having a Soupfin shark come in and circle me after I had shot the first Cab and had a few fish already on belt...cool critter, but was obviously interested in my fish and I didn't wanna share...eventually worked my way back to my kayak and moved spots lol.

https://youtu.be/nO-yYncFDYc

Yesterday I went for an afternoon dip with my buddy Mike and scored a meaty 24.25 inch Cab that weighed 10.1 pounds...Not the longest but prolly the fattest cab I've taken...Also took a 27 inch Ling and found another similar size one that I pointed out to Mike and let him shoot.

Was using my new Darkwaters V11 light and it worked great, and am looking forward to finding future hidden monsters with it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

https://darkwaters.co/products/v11-1150 ... flashlight

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
prick

Re: Soupfin Shark, Blacks, Cabs

Postby NaClAddict » November 8th, 2019, 12:48 pm

Jim, is that light $120 rad in your opinion?
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby BigJim » November 8th, 2019, 1:55 pm

NaClAddict wrote:Jim, is that light $120 rad in your opinion?

I think so...

Waaay better IMO than the UK SL4 eLED L1 which a lot of folks up here use and that I used for a long time.

Much brighter, easier on/off, no sticky switch, rechargeable battery so don't have to keep buying 4packs of C batteries, has a lower light mode that I haven't messed around with yet but for night dives may be the way to go to extend battery life...

I used the previous version of the DW light for several years and liked that one a lot as well...so far I'm digging this one even more.

Hope that helps...

:greetings-wavingyellow:

Sincerely,

Jim
BigJim
prick

Postby Andrew » November 8th, 2019, 3:12 pm

That black is a toad. Thanks for sharing a nice write-up and photos.

Andrew
Andrew
polespearo

Postby NaClAddict » November 8th, 2019, 4:03 pm

Nice, thanks Jim, always like your posts. Just had to ask since I saw another online spear person plugging this same light. Seemed awful coincidental. I have no problem if people review gear they got for free (if that is the case), I just wonder if it’s worth the retail price.
NaClAddict
spearo

Return to California & Baja