Addiction shafts

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Addiction shafts

Postby Bill McIntyre » November 30th, 2019, 11:28 am

This season has pretty much ended, at least for white sea bass and yellowtail. But while you are thinking about getting ready for next year, I want to give a shout out to Dean Koutras/Addiction shafts. I guess you can get shafts cheaper but you have to settle for stock sizes and configurations and they are seldom exactly what I want. Dean can make you a custom shaft just the way you want it. For instance I just got a 62" threaded shaft, 5/16" with the last two inches necked down to 9/32" and with three shark fins and rest tab with line hole in it. The neck down lets me use a 9/32" tip with 6mm thread and 9/32" slide ring. I'm not aware of any stock 5/16" shafts necked down to 9/32", but Dean can make you one. Of course if you are a tuna hunter you could get a 3/8" or 11/32" shaft necked down to 5/16. I think there are stock shafts like that, but Dean can make you one in any length you want with the number of fins you want.

The rest tab with line attachment hole is something I've just discovered in the last couple of years, but I really like it. It keeps the shooting line away from the wishbones and keeps me from pinching the loop of shooting line between the wishbone and fin.
This shaft cost me $100 and was delivered to my house 4 days after I placed the order. I think that's a fair price for a shaft made exactly to my specifications.

A couple of years ago I needed a shaft for my Abellan 110. The gun came with a flopper shaft, and I wanted a threaded shaft for slip tip on white sea bass. I ordered a threaded shaft from another source but I just didn't think about the fact that the Hunt shaft that came with the gun had a shorter than usual tang (or whatever you call that thing that fits into the mechanism) and the two loading fins were about as far back as they could be. So the new shaft was fine except for the fact that the band stretch was a good bit shorter than on the flopper shaft. So I had a choice of cutting the bands just right for the threaded shaft and then getting a hernia trying to load them on the flopper shaft, or cutting them just right for the flopper shaft and then having them too loose on the threaded shaft.

So I ordered another threaded shaft from Dean and included a photo of the flopper shaft with a ruler next to it. So he was able to place the fins on the new threaded shaft to perfectly match those on the flopper shaft. That is custom shaft making.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: Addiction shafts

Postby John Hughes » November 30th, 2019, 11:51 am

I've just been thinking about this Bill and glad you posted up. I heard that Dean was out of business and am glad to hear that's not the case.

I bend a lot of shafts, many of them on seabass. The reason for this basically comes down to the fact that I suck. Because I suck, I hate diving deep and because of this, I horse my fish. I'd rather take a good shot on a fish and horse it to tie up shallow rather than have to dive deep to dig them out. Hence the bent shafts.

A few years ago I finally thought I'd try one of Dean's shafts out. The bottom line is, I still have the shaft in my gun. I've shot a few less fish in the last few years but I'm still shocked to be using the same shaft. Earlier in the season I tore off a seabass and figuring it was an easy shot I must have a bent shaft. That particular fish was a bit of a snap shot and I applied zero pressure on it before it tore off. The outcome made me happy and sad at the same time. I took out the shaft and went through the process of confirming that it was still straight which just helped me realize again that I suck. I was happy to see that the shaft is still straight but sad that I still suck enough to tear a nice fish off on an easy shot.

I've realized over the years the importance of a straight shaft and have also realized that most off the rack shafts are not truly straight. It's why I've always been willing to cough the cash out for Mori's gear as he takes precision to a new level. After trying Dean's shafts out, I have to believe he takes his manufacturing seriously as well. His shafts don't come polished as Mori's do, but they do come strong. I've become a believer in that much as I'm already looking forward to starting yet another seabass season with the same shaft I bought from Dean 3-4 years ago.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Jolinedaniel » November 30th, 2019, 2:24 pm

I just picked one up from Dean and it’s great. You can get them polished. It is an extra 25 dollars.... but damn it looks good
Jolinedaniel
polespearo

Postby Behslayer » November 30th, 2019, 7:46 pm

Addiction Shafts=High Quality Craftsmanship.
Behslayer
kook

Postby John Hughes » December 1st, 2019, 1:13 pm

Jolinedaniel wrote:I just picked one up from Dean and it’s great. You can get them polished. It is an extra 25 dollars.... but damn it looks good

The polished shaft looks nice certainly. Back when I bought that shaft from Dean I asked him about that. He told me typically he doesn't polish them because he believes it weakens them and they bend easier. After getting an unpolished one from him and having the experience of bending so many polished ones, I'd have to say there might be something to that.

Regardless, I still support Mori on most of my shafts because the quality is guaranteed. I may just add another Addiction shaft to my back ups though. :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby VangysWay » December 3rd, 2019, 11:14 am

Dean is the man.
VangysWay
prick

Postby Errin » December 4th, 2019, 8:43 am

John Hughes wrote:
Jolinedaniel wrote:I just picked one up from Dean and it’s great. You can get them polished. It is an extra 25 dollars.... but damn it looks good

The polished shaft looks nice certainly. Back when I bought that shaft from Dean I asked him about that. He told me typically he doesn't polish them because he believes it weakens them and they bend easier. After getting an unpolished one from him and having the experience of bending so many polished ones, I'd have to say there might be something to that.

Regardless, I still support Mori on most of my shafts because the quality is guaranteed. I may just add another Addiction shaft to my back ups though. :)

The only problem with Dean's work is that it's so damn good you only have to buy one shaft and you're good for life! :bow-blue:

Would love to consider myself a repeat customer but after shafting a couple hundred yellowtail, WSB and wahoo I've only had to buy one for each of my guns. They are literally that good. I have never bent an Addiction shaft.

Agree with you John that the Mori shafts are beautiful - I love his craftsmanship - but they are soft and have a tendency to bend much easier. On the plus side, they are also much easier to straighten so if you're good at straightening or live close to Mori, it's not a problem...
Errin
spearo

Return to California & Baja