Long time no post, gave up spearing for video games

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Long time no post, gave up spearing for video games

Postby Namor » December 2nd, 2019, 9:45 pm

Hola guys, I haven't posted anything in years because i got really into video games, gave up on diving and sold all my gear on Craigslist. Just kidding, I hate video games, and have only accumulated more gear. I actually stopped posting because of a combination of frustration with my super old computer that was too slow to let me see what I was typing, and got put off of it after some mystery kook misrepresented themselves as a friend of mine to a family member based on what they had gathered about me reading my posts, which pissed me off.

Any ways I got out of the habit of writing and then felt guilty being a lurker who never contributes and stopped looking at the forum. But I miss reading it and participating, and I have a functioning computer so here I am, back to contribute my reports about small fish and weigh in on things I should probably keep my mouth shut about.

Anyway enough about that, I will see if I can contribute a report about the Fall diving and try to get back in the forums’ good graces.

One of the better dives I’ve had this past summer and fall was one of those where you think it's going to suck, but you are going through the motions just in case you are wrong, and just to get out in the water. It was a Sunday dive and after having a poor dive on Saturday driving all over the coast and only finding empty murk. As a consolation, I went to my closest non MPA spot despite it being crowded with surfers snorkelers and spearos. It was was really warm and there were by my towns standards a zoo of people in the water. Conditions were better than I hoped and it didn't take me long to find a small octopus for the stringer.

After poking about in the outer kelp for a while and finding nothing but GWS lurking in my mind, (after 30+ years of coastal diving I had my 1st in water view of a GWS a couple of weeks before) I decided to go in and hunt for flatties in the shallows behind the surf.

As I was working the inner reef behind the surf break out of the milk I glimpsed the silhouette of a legal sized C bass at the edge of the visibility. I immediately looked away not wanting to spook him and used the surge to drift into some kelp where I could try to give him a steel invitation to dinner. In not too long I had drifted to within 4 or 5’ of some kayaker getting the hang of their rentals as well as the surfers sitting furthest out, but had spied a small school of c bass ranging from maybe legal to about a foot over legal. I was a little worried about getting some surfers’ ankle as by-catch, but by not being my usual impatient self and drifting with the surge, I maneuvered myself closer managed to get my 80cm Rob Allen lined up with the biggest of the fish and let fly. the shaft hit the fish right behind the head and surprisingly only penetrated about 4” out the other side, I saw to my relief the sideslip type of slip tip Im using (you can see it in the 2nd cbass pic, its a Kimera sideslip brand, and I love it) deployed as the fish rolled over stoned by what turned out to be a shaft through the top of the spinal column.

I dove on it and by the time I had surfaced had started pulling the gills and bleeding it. Realizing that i was making the surfers nervous with the spreading blood cloud I finned away and was just overwhelmed with stoke at my good fortune on what I thought was going to be a "suit washer" grade dive. On the way in a spearo swam up to me and directly asked (pretty boldly) where I had speared my fish. I told him, “in shallow behind the surfers”, and he answered incredulously “that fish? In shallow? OK….” I could tell he didn't believe me and I really didn't blame him. I watched him swim out to the outer kelp where I had seen fuck all earlier...

Although this fish was not a slug by any means, for a shore dive fish im my area he was a really good catch and I am really pleased to have speared it with a short gun. I steaked up the whole fish with the spine in and grilled some up for dinner, shared some with my family and buddies and froze a few steaks that I used a month later along with the pus and my 1st bug of the season to make campechana ceviche.

I really prefer to dive the remote beaches above Goleta where I rarely see anyone in the water but my dive buds, but I have to admit that pulling a good fish from right under the non divers has its own special kind of satisfaction.

Thanks for having back on here guys
Jeremy
Attachments
Namor
kook

Re: Long time no post, gave up spearing for video games

Postby Alex Ray » December 3rd, 2019, 6:51 am

Welcome back, and way to go on that seabass! I’m glad you’ve decided to rejoin our world of internet spearfishing, I’ve always liked reading your reports.
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
prick

Postby NaClAddict » December 3rd, 2019, 9:05 am

Welcome back. I always loved your posts. Great diving and beach tales that bring me back to my time up in Santa Barbara.
NaClAddict
spearo

Postby chris oak » December 3rd, 2019, 10:43 am

80 cm railgun seabass!!! That's flipping amazing, I was wondering if you had given up diving! I think I'm more jealous of the octopus though, after consuming more than I should have in hawaii I made the mistake of killing and braising one this year.

Since then any big octopus comes home with me, my kid loves it so much sometimes I dump extra syrachia in it to keep him from eating it all lol.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Trace » December 3rd, 2019, 1:17 pm

Good to see you back Jeremy. Great write up as usual.
Trace
kook

Postby Adam Sachs » December 3rd, 2019, 1:55 pm

It should also be noted that Jeremy has been doing a helluva good job over the last year as President of the Santa Barbara Freedivers, which might help explain his temporary hiatus. Thanks for the entertaining report and keep up the good work in and out of the water. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Adam Sachs
spearo

Postby Errin » December 3rd, 2019, 2:43 pm

Ceviche looks bomb El Presidente, nice work on the mini-slug
Errin
spearo

Postby Namor » December 4th, 2019, 10:33 am

Thanks for the warm welcome back and kind words guys. Chris I had to laugh about your octopus story with your kid. My daughter loves octopus too, at one point I had one parboiled in the fridge I was going to make some Glocktopus (my most dependable and reliable octopus recipe, garlic lemon octopus) out of when I came home from work. When I went to go get it all that was left was the head and one tentacle. She had eaten all the others, and when I busted her chops about it, she said it was payback for me eating all of the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups out of her Halloween candy for so many years.

Jeremy
Namor
kook

Postby chris oak » December 4th, 2019, 10:39 am

Whats the garlic lemon octopus recipe???
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Namor » December 4th, 2019, 10:53 am

I'll write it up and make a post out of it Chris
The picture is Gloctopus and pepperoncini pseudo Pizza made on a bagel
Attachments
Namor
kook

Postby Trace » December 4th, 2019, 12:15 pm

Outstanding use of a bagel!
Trace
kook

Postby dam » December 5th, 2019, 2:12 pm

Okay! Let's goooo! Welcome back and nice fish to boot. For a second there I thought you were serious about being a professional gamer. Those guys actually make decent money. The part about someone learning personal info about you is not so nice. These days, it's so easily done through social media. Be careful what you put out there. You never know what secrets they might learn that could be detrimental to your well being... like that seabass spot...
dam
diving god

Return to California & Baja