Black Sea Bass released

Off-topic conversations, cool videos and news stories. We ask that you keep politics/religion and bickering OUT of this section.

Black Sea Bass released

Postby chris oak » March 4th, 2020, 8:26 pm

I couldn't be prouder, this is the ONLY time on earth that this has happened.
https://www.latimes.com/environment/sto ... a-comeback
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Black Sea Bass released

Postby Austin Balk » March 4th, 2020, 10:17 pm

That is F-n awesome! Thank you to you and your team... amazing creatures to see.
Austin Balk
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » March 5th, 2020, 6:06 am

Chris, that's awesome bro congrats!!

It's so cool that you had an unintentional spawn and then rallied it. It's gotta be pretty amazing caring for those from such a early stage and then bringing to the point of release. Great job.

The new work boat is looking pretty tight as well! :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill McIntyre » March 5th, 2020, 8:41 am

Shooting them with crossbows? It’s funny how reporters get the details wrong.

I know I’m not the only one who questions that 500 adult number. I know of one kelp bed where you can reliably see about 10 at a time, and they are frequently seen at a lot of spots.

But then I guess it takes a lot of spots to get to 500.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby dam » March 5th, 2020, 10:26 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:Shooting them with crossbows? It’s funny how reporters get the details wrong.

I know I’m not the only one who questions that 500 adult number. I know of one kelp bed where you can reliably see about 10 at a time, and they are frequently seen at a lot of spots.

Yeah... any ideas where they got that 500 figure, Chris? I was laughing about the cross bow part too, Bill. :rofl:
dam
diving god

Postby John Hughes » March 5th, 2020, 8:09 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Shooting them with crossbows? It’s funny how reporters get the details wrong.

The scientists have no idea what they are talking about. We learned that during the MPA struggle when we took them diving to spots they were telling us were empty wastelands. They were SHOCKED when they not only saw life but abundant life.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » March 5th, 2020, 9:37 pm

dam wrote:

Yeah... any ideas where they got that 500 figure, Chris? I was laughing about the cross bow part too, Bill. :rofl:

Thanks guys, the support I got on social media was great too. We had to keep this under wraps for a very long time because we weren't sure DFW was going to let us release them and NO ONE wants to hear that you raised a protected species and then had to kill them all.

Yah from what I could tell, that was an old number probably around when they closed the take. I talked to one prof and off the record he told me that he thought they need to reassess the population.

IMO more than likely, the reason no one wants to do a pop count is 1. it's a gigantic pain in the ass 2. it will be harder to get bsb funding if they find out the numbers have grown. 3. if the numbers prove to have gone up there will be pressure to take them recreationally and with all the mpa people in california, that is never going to happen.

I saw a school at catalina island (with dam I think?) that was close to 100, I'll dig up the video sometime. The real bummer is the commercial guys get an "incidental take" where they are allowed to bycatch a few a year. I have no problem with this except I have heard they will purposely target them so they can sell them on the market.

Better they blame the crossbow guys than spearfishermen ;)
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Steve G » March 13th, 2020, 5:44 pm

Pretty cool stuff Chris.

Any projection on what percentage will reach maturity?
Steve G
kook

Postby chris oak » March 13th, 2020, 9:24 pm

Steve G wrote:Pretty cool stuff Chris.

Any projection on what percentage will reach maturity?

No unfortunately there is no tags for fish that small nor are there any studies on predation of gsb from the size we released to adults. If you figure that in the wild only a handful of fry might even get to the size we released it's better odds than in the wild but if only 4 survived to adults I'd be pretty stoked.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby 32juan » March 19th, 2020, 7:11 am

We were fortunate enough to get a couple of them here at Wrigley. Good job!
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
ISDC
32juan
kook

Postby chris oak » March 20th, 2020, 7:00 pm

I forgot to add, Long Beach AOP has 3 on display that they are raising from what they hatched out. Cabrillo Aquarium has about 15 that are being raised to a certain size where they can be tagged by CSULB (chris lowe's lab). Once those are released we might know a little more about where they go after settlement. I forgot to add, we know very little about juveniles. We know the fish broadcast spawn (adults mature at around 12 years, the females may take longer than that). The fertilized eggs float around the currents and the fry settle out on sandy beach areas. They are there a few months and then take off, that's where the mystery is because we don't see them again until they are probably more like 40 lbs in the kelp beds. They do catch some from about a quarter pound to five pounds in the sand flats out in deep water too.

LBAOP also has another 200 or so of Cabrillos fish that they are going to release soon. It was supposed to be this week but everyone shut down cuz of the corona virus.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Sitting Topside