I'm up

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

I'm up

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 19th, 2020, 11:44 am

Or at least my boat is. My boat's engine gave up the ghost after over 2300 hours and 17 years. Given my age, it was a tough decision whether to spend all that money to replace it. Maybe I'll find out I can't even dive after this winter layoff. But my wife encouraged me to repower, and I rationalized that selling a boat without an operating engine would not bring top dollar.

Anyway, the new one is finally installed and I did a 5 hour sea trial yesterday in spite of small craft warnings. It felt so damn good to be out on the water again. I was focused on following the break in schedule but maybe next time I'll get in the water.

The bad news is that I confirmed what friends have been telling me. The kelp beds south of Dana Point are almost non-existent. I just can't understand how they can be lush at PeeVee and San Diego but not here. Oh well, I hear that there is a lot of kelp at Catalina, and at least for now gas is cheap.

Of course now old farts are supposed to stay home to avoid exposure with the virus so my timing is poor. Maybe I'll make all the other guys stay out in the cockpit while I'm running the boat inside the pilot house with the doors shut. Then they go in the water before I come out and suit up? Shit, that doesn't sound right.

I'll work it out somehow, but the one sure thing is that they have to bring their own toilet paper.
Last edited by Bill Fuckin McIntyre on March 19th, 2020, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Re: I'm up

Postby Andrew » March 19th, 2020, 12:22 pm

That's great to hear, Bill. Here's hoping that you cross paths with a suicidal white seabass some time soon.
Andrew
spearo

Postby John Hughes » March 19th, 2020, 12:55 pm

Glad you're up and running Bill. That had to have felt great being on the water again.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 19th, 2020, 1:18 pm

It did feel great just being on the water. I was a bit surprised how much that improved my mood. And the water was smooth. Just as we left the harbor they issued a small craft warning from San Mateo Pt. to the Mexican border, but the weather didn't get the message.

Andrew, a suicidal fish is what it will take, but if a fish is suffering from clinical depression then its my duty to help end its misery.
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Jeff Bonisa » March 19th, 2020, 1:33 pm

Great to Hear Bill! I have been wondering but didn't want to add angst in case a snag had come into the picture LOL. I am hoping my new gun is on schedule with all the zombie apocalypse happening around us. Will sure be nice to have a new toy to play with in the water. A boat would be even better! I'll keep working towards that one.
Jeff Bonisa
polespearo

Postby dctrjayyy » March 19th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Bill - We went down there Sunday just to scout like you did. Kelp is almost non-existent as you said. Water was mud but cleaned up further north toward the plant. Oh well.
dctrjayyy
spearo

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 19th, 2020, 2:06 pm

dctrjayyy wrote:Bill - We went down there Sunday just to scout like you did. Kelp is almost non-existent as you said. Water was mud but cleaned up further north toward the plant. Oh well.

I only went as far south as the power plant, but from there up to Abalone Pt it looked pretty good as far as we could tell from the boat. Of course it was cloudy and raining some so the light wasn't great, but the color looked decent.
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Freeryde » March 19th, 2020, 8:51 pm

I’m planning to go out tomorrow even though the state of California says you are not allowed to leave your house! I think getting fish to feed the family is an essential function.
Congrats bill on the new motor. Surprised you only got 2800 hours in that many years. I have about 2200 hours in only 5 years on my engines.
I guess we do a lot of offshore trips and hook and lune fishing where we leave the boat running all day
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
sea slayer

Postby Pfish » March 20th, 2020, 8:59 am

Question: Are the boat ramps open? Specifically Davies Ramp? Is anybody over at Avalon right now? Harbor open? Thanks for all replies.

Pat
Pfish
noob

Postby mikeme » March 20th, 2020, 9:02 am

Glad you did all that Bill. I need to do that, but with the lock down I don't know how it'd play out. I saw one boat at the kelp though fishing this morning. Hope this thing goes away soon so we can get on with our lives.
mikeme
kook

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 20th, 2020, 10:08 am

mikeme wrote:Glad you did all that Bill. I need to do that, but with the lock down I don't know how it'd play out. I saw one boat at the kelp though fishing this morning. Hope this thing goes away soon so we can get on with our lives.

Yeah, I wonder how a lock down will be interpreted. Will we get stopped or arrested at the ramp. Maybe I shouldn’t have put all that money in a new engine after all.

And even if we get out, is it smart? There is a lot of snot blowing going on after we get out of the water.
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Postby dam » March 20th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Let's go next week, Bill! I can get 1 day off and AFAIK, I haven't caught the virus yet...
dam
diving god

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 22nd, 2020, 12:00 pm

dam wrote:Let's go next week, Bill! I can get 1 day off and AFAIK, I haven't caught the virus yet...

No offense intended Dam, but Trump calls this the Chinese virus, and Vietnam is pretty close to China. :)

But seriously, I'm wondering if I should be going with anyone now with the quarantine. We blow a lot of snot when we come out of the water so it would be tough to maintain separation. Even Joel says he won't go with a crew. I don't know how the hell I'll get my fin socks on if I go alone, but Nancy owes me for a lot of horse shows and they are all cancelled for a while. I just saw a photo of Lyle Davis with a sea bass on Facebook and I know others are being taken, so its not an easy decision when I don't have a lot of time left.

I'm curious what others think about this.
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Postby db1 » March 22nd, 2020, 2:16 pm

Hey Bill,

Congrats on the repower.

FWIW...

Fishing is still considered essential business, so you are technically and legally allowed to go. Doesn't mean some overzealous enforcement type wouldn't hassle you. But I was at the ramp today and plenty of people launching and retrieving. Port Police came over, had a look and then left.

In terms of being around people... that's a tough call. I wouldn't even hazard a piece of advice on that.

But I certainly wish plenty of diving and fish in your future!
db1
prick

Postby Donzi Paul » March 22nd, 2020, 5:53 pm

Fishing...putting bait on a hook and hope something get snagged. Spearfishing is ocean hunting. Leaving your boat to find and stalk a fish..spear them and put meat on your family's table.

Cheers, Don
Long Beach Neptune 1983 ...still
Donzi Paul
sea slayer

Postby Dalton Best » March 25th, 2020, 6:51 pm

I’m taking the better safe than sorry approach and will only be running solo while this is going on. Congrats on the boat being back up and running!
Dalton Best
polespearo

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 25th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Thanks Dalton. I’m relieved to see you young studs being careful.
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 25th, 2020, 7:13 pm

BTW, my boat is stored at the Embarcadero Marina at Dana Point. I got an email today telling me that i still had access to my boat and that the ramp was open. It might change but that’s the status for now.
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Andrew » March 25th, 2020, 8:18 pm

Just tell them that you're Bill Fucking McIntyre and that you need some test kits so you can safely bring other divers out on your newly repowered craft to chase tanker seabass without putting yourself in danger. They seem to have made special provisions for procuring kits for celebrities and athletes. I'd say you qualify. :hi5:

Bullshitting aside, stay safe (as if you needed to be admonished to be reasonably safety conscious by some guy on the internet). We always tell ourselves that "no fish is worth your life" so maybe it can't hurt to give it a few weeks.

Still, I feel your pain knowing that you have all this free time with your wife's hunter/jumper/three-day-eventing/dressage business on hold.
Andrew
spearo

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 26th, 2020, 12:48 pm

Andrew wrote:Still, I feel your pain knowing that you have all this free time with your wife's hunter/jumper/three-day-eventing/dressage business on hold.

Bill Fucking McIntyre? I like that.

But if my wife did that stuff I would have had to sell the boat long ago. That sort of riding is really expensive and the horses that do it are really expensive. Thank God all my wife does is barrel race and gymkhana. Its expensive, but cheap by comparison.
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Captn Ron » March 26th, 2020, 1:26 pm

Bill Fucking McIntyre......The Legend :)
i swim in circles alot
Captn Ron
spearo

Postby Bill Fuckin McIntyre » March 26th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Can I change my user name?
Bill Fuckin McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » March 26th, 2020, 7:51 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Can I change my user name?

Henceforth you shall be called BFM.

You should get it tattooed really big on your chest.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Steve G » March 27th, 2020, 10:57 am

Glad to hear you got the boat up and running. I say stay safe and solitary until this risk blows over. Maybe just do a couple more "sea trials" just to get on the water.
Steve G
kook

Return to California & Baja