Catch and Cook: Spiny Lobster

General info and questions about your spearing and diving!

Catch and Cook: Spiny Lobster

Postby chris oak » March 23rd, 2020, 10:23 am

I just finished a 30 min video on catching and cooking spiny lobster. It's more for beginners, if you are bored the main action is probably 12 minutes in.

chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Catch and Cook: Spiny Lobster

Postby John Hughes » March 23rd, 2020, 7:58 pm

nice tutorial. Dam is really going to learn some stuff from that.

I like the lobster molting footage you have in the middle. You've had that female in the tank for quite a few years now!

Thanks for taking the time to do that up Chris. My wife came in at the end when you were cooking and I made her watch it. Hopefully she took the hint. :)
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » March 24th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Thanks John, it should answer a lot of questions for guys new to bug diving.

That female bug was caught local too, when the guy brought it in I told him we could only have one male because the big bulls fight. I assumed it was a male because it was so big, he said "oh its a female" and I flipped it over and no shidt it was a big female. Bryans bull never messed with her and she mated probably three times so far.

make the pesto pasta, super easy and my kid tears it up. Good luck finding pasta right now though lol.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » March 25th, 2020, 12:07 pm

John Hughes wrote:nice tutorial. Dam is really going to learn some stuff from that.

LOL! :rofl:

That was a very thorough video, Chris. You have a knack for explaining things. I didn't mind watching the whole thing even if it had your mug in it. My only criticism is don't mix vertical videos with horizontal ones. It makes viewing kinda hard on phones.

The molting clip is cool!
dam
diving god

Postby chris oak » March 25th, 2020, 12:22 pm

[quote="dam"My only criticism is don't mix vertical videos with horizontal ones. It makes viewing kinda hard on phones.

The molting clip is cool![/quote]

Yah that was because I shot some of the video with the phone and most with the action cam. The problem is with the cam I have a hard time recording while I'm explaining things and if it's in the housing it's muffled. I'll have to see if I can get a mount that doesn't use the housing.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Matthew Rice » April 16th, 2020, 9:27 am

Finally got around to watching this. Thank you for sharing! Every day a school day. One thing I didn't see you address that I wanted to ask you about was de-veining the lobster. I always use the antennae to take out the digestive tract running through the tail. Do you have a different technique? Also, when you are catching bugs, you mentioned grabbing the bugs in holes by the base of the horns. When you see them on the crawl, where do you try to grab? Do you normally use two hands or one? Along with getting more accustomed to the shape, movement patterns, and general habitat of bugs, trying to refine my technique so I can feed friends and family more lobster next year! Again, appreciate you putting this out there. Hope you and yours are doing well through this.
Matthew Rice
noob

Postby chris oak » April 16th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Thanks Matt. Yah I forgot to cover that, I either use the antennae like you described or else if I'm splitting the lobster I don't bother because the dooke shoot is right in the center and it comes right out. When I grab bugs in holes I'm aiming for the horns normally because that part doesn't break off. You almost always have to shake them to get them to loosen up to get them out. If they are on the crawl I aim for almost mid body because they will shoot back and then I'll peg them in the upper back. Most of my bugs are small, the spots I dive area heavily dove so there aren't a lot of big ones. My biggest but was only maybe...7 lbs out of pt vicente before they closed it, that one I had to grab mid back with two hands.

The biggest tip I can give you from my limited experience is to use the periphery of the light, not the direct beam. Try to get them on the same breathhold if you aren't pushing it because once you go up and breathe up if they are in a hole they will almost always back up more. If you are working a hole, light it up frequently because a moray might have moved in, they love the smell of bug blood. And practice your grabs as much as possible, I use 3mm gloves because I'm a wimp and get cold and 3mm are easier to manipulate so I'm better at the grab.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Matthew Rice » April 17th, 2020, 8:36 am

Chris,

Thanks for the pointers. I'll have to remember this come October. Figure I've got enough time between now and then to try and talk Bill into getting a lobster card, too.
Matthew Rice
noob

Postby spearthebigones » May 6th, 2020, 4:49 pm

Hey Chris that's awesome you made your own Catch and Cook episode! You put a lot of effort in to this one.

One tip I recommend is start your video with the tires running.

YouTube videos need to be incredibly entertaining at the beginning and hook the viewer with something they want to see more of. Create the start of the video with the assumption that: 1 - the viewer doesn't know anything about the video or Chris Oak, other then then thumbnail and title: and 2 - the viewer is heavily judging your video intro and will click away if it bores them. In the first 15-20 seconds it's your time to show them something exciting that will make them want to watch the rest of your video.

I noticed the first 15-20 seconds of your video was a personal monologue about yourself that didn't explain what the video is going to be about. That sets the tone for how viewers are going to perceive your video. They haven't seen any video of you catching and cooking so far, so they are going to assume this is a long winded video about your personal life, which they don't care about - because they don't know who you and they don't want to know. All they want to see is your catch and cook adventure. So many will click away and not watch.

I know we are taught in school to make a long multi sentence paragraph introducing any story. But YouTube is different. YouTube viewers are going to give you very little time to convince them to watch your video. You don't have a full paragraph to explain things to them. You need to wow them right at the start. Otherwise people will walk away and not watch your video.

Just wanted to share that perspective. Oh and on a side note, my personal catch and cook video I made a while back, I would rate as a failure. But I learned a few things of what not to do for the future. So hopefully my next vid will be better.
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby chris oak » May 9th, 2020, 10:38 am

Those are excellent points Daniel, I was planning on having the spear shot as the teaser the next time and then move thru the different parts.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Spearfishing & Freediving