Blackened Fish

Epic mealtime ideas

Blackened Fish

Postby chris oak » April 25th, 2020, 7:53 am

This is a super easy recipe and it works with a lot of reef fish.

Boneless Filets 
Olive Oil
Cajun Spice
Paprika (optional)
Sea Salt or Table Salt
cuts of lemon (optional)

This time I used sheephead.  I never really ate sheephead except in ceviche because everytime I cook it, it falls apart and I normally don't like the flavor. In fact I made some on the grill the other night and it fell apart.  The secret is to do it on a pan or griddle and use two spatulas to sandwich the filets when you flip it.  The other secret is sheephead filets have to rest in the fridge for about 3 days so the meat can firm up.  The sheephead came out very much like grilled rockfish filet, I was blown away and I now feel sorry for any goats I see when I am out of fish. If you are using calicos or sargo, seabass etc you won't have to let it rest as long. Doing this rub which is kind of a copy of the blackened fish at California Fish Grill. We ate that a lot before I could kind of figure out the recipe.

Heat up a pan with some olive oil in it.  Take the fish and rub olive oil on it liberally while pan is heating.  Sprinkle the Cajun spices on it heavily.  Sprinkle some sea salt on it.  Sprinkle paprika on it if you like paprika, if not the cajun spice usually has some in it.  When the pan is hot put the fish on it and cook until it darkens on one side, then flip it.  Your filets should be no more than 1/2" to an inch as it will burn before cooking through.  If you are doing a thick dry fish like seabass you can cover it for a little but on other fish the cover will make the fish steam more than fry.

Once one side is done flip and repeat.  The result is a buttery, tasty fish that is easily paired with wine or steamed veggies and cuts of lemon if you like it.  We also serve this on a bed of rice.  
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Blackened Fish

Postby John Hughes » May 8th, 2020, 4:07 am

now that looks easy enough for even somebody like me. I'm going to try it.

without the sheephead.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Behslayer » May 9th, 2020, 11:30 am

Mmmm. Looks good. need try tonight
Behslayer
kook

Postby grometito » May 10th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Awesome, I’ve seen both Cajun seasoning and blackened seasoning by the same brand next to each other at the store. Which did you use? I have a blackened one that says paprika, peppers, oregano, salt, onion, and garlic.
grometito
noob

Return to Recipes