McNulty Results

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

McNulty Results

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 17th, 2021, 10:33 am

email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Re: McNulty Results

Postby Andrew » May 17th, 2021, 11:57 am

Thanks for passing the link along, Bill. There were some nice fish taken up at the top of that leaderboard.
Andrew
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 17th, 2021, 1:17 pm

Notice that Hughes entered two fish.

But they didn’t let him add the two weights together.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Andrew » May 17th, 2021, 1:23 pm

I assumed that he was dragging nice fish up the cliffs when he went radio silent after all of the chatter about cold, green water around the peninsula. We were one great white shark sighting removed from a "wide open" clarion call. I don't know why, but I still miss spending day after day in early March chasing those damned fish.

Have you gotten in the water at all, Bill?
Andrew
spearo

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 17th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Andrew wrote:Have you gotten in the water at all, Bill?

Five times total. For some reason the Chlorophyll at the spots south of Dana has been abysmal for the last two years even while its decent north and south of here. I'm too damn old for those long trips to the islands, but every time I try it local we have 6 feet of vis. I know I suck, but Dam doesn't see any fish either.

So last week I manned up and ran to Clemente. Vis was mediocre and I saw two 8 pound yellowtail while a buddy saw one. It ain't easy being old.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » May 17th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Bill McIntyre wrote:Notice that Hughes entered two fish.

But they didn’t let him add the two weights together.

LOL. I actually had a pretty incredible tourney even though I wasn't really going after it. I only dove 3 times that month. The first few days of the contest I tore off a fish that was mid 70's. Painful. What was worse was somehow that day I traumatized my inner ear somehow and my equilibrium went sideways. I had to quit diving for 3 weeks and some days I felt unsafe driving my car. The last week I was trying to figure out whether I could do that Baja trip so I tip toed back in the water twice to figure out if I was OK to head south. I shot both those fish on those two dives and both right on the surface so I didn't even have to dig them out and test the ears.

Sometimes God takes it easy on me. :)

I figure it must be Him because both those days the vis was only 5'. Absolutely no skill involved on my part as the fish basically both ran right into me.

I figured if I could do that all week long in Baja I'd be alright. As it turned out, I shot most of my fish there in the top 10' of the water column. I'm a surface shooting scumbag at heart so it's been a good month for me :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Andrew » May 18th, 2021, 12:14 pm

John Hughes wrote:I figured if I could do that all week long in Baja I'd be alright. As it turned out, I shot most of my fish there in the top 10' of the water column. I'm a surface shooting scumbag at heart so it's been a good month for me

:D
Andrew
spearo

Postby chris oak » May 18th, 2021, 8:07 pm

Lameo Corey won it. That was a beast of a fish, I think the next nearest fish was like mid sixties?

I know of another 72 that came in but not during the tourney.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » May 19th, 2021, 5:06 am

chris oak wrote:Lameo Corey won it. That was a beast of a fish, I think the next nearest fish was like mid sixties?

I know of another 72 that came in but not during the tourney.

I think it's great Corey won it. At least you know there won't be a long acceptance speech. LOL

There were some really big fish around for a few weeks this year, it was pretty incredible. I talked to Clark and he was saying what a great tourney it was this year. It just heated up all month and there were multiple fish coming in all the way till dark the closing night including one of mine.

It was a strange year and a good couple of weeks. The fish showed up about 2 months late and have since cooled way down. I suspect it will be a really short season for us in this area as water temps are already causing the fish to move on. Really different from last year.
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to California & Baja