Blame it on Rene

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Blame it on Rene

Postby John Hughes » May 16th, 2021, 2:15 pm

I couldn't just continue to watch his videos without getting in on some of the action. It's not often I leave in the spring since I wait all year for the fish to show up in front of my house and I refuse to miss even a few days of the season. His videos have had me frothing so I decided to go check into a rumor I've heard for years of cold clean water filled with monster yellows. Seems the rumors were true......

Also, my friends and I are not really into killing the big grouper so it was good the deeper spots were not holding. The inshore spots were holding a lot of good action on the smaller broomtails and smaller pargo though. Provided some really good variety for the cooler and gave us a break from the 50lb gear wrecking yellowtail.

It's funny how you gauge a good Baja run by the amount of shafts and gear that got destroyed.....

A couple of highlights were starting the first day landing my smallest yellow of the trip (34lbs) and realized afterwards I forgot to crimp the sleeve. Good thing I remembered to mushroom the tip of the mono :eek: The second day diving yellows I basically free grabbed a free swimming 41lbr. Talk about taking me for a ride :rofl:

One of the harder moments was on the last day after boating a 38 and 4 over 40, I had a perfect shot on a 50+ and while horsing it off a stringer watching the mono break at the shaft and seeing the fish swim off with my last shaft and slip tip......Honestly, it had been so good all I could do was swim back to the boat laughing.

And instead of our usual $1 a day bet for biggest fish, the "motel" we stayed at basically only had one big chair to sit in that we called the throne. The person with the biggest fish got to sit in it for the rest of the day and the losers had to fetch him drinks, make him food and basically be his servants. Everybody got a day as king. LOL

Here's some pics in no apparent order.....
Attachments
Last edited by John Hughes on May 16th, 2021, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Hughes
cupcake

Re: Blame it on Rene

Postby John Hughes » May 16th, 2021, 2:16 pm

more
Attachments
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby John Hughes » May 16th, 2021, 2:18 pm

and then some
Attachments
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby John Hughes » May 16th, 2021, 2:28 pm

and
Attachments
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Trace » May 16th, 2021, 4:20 pm

That's some good stuff there John. Looks like you all had a great time.
Trace
sea sniper

Postby Alex Ray » May 16th, 2021, 4:32 pm

Are all those bent shafts from yellowtail??
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
kook

Postby John Hughes » May 16th, 2021, 4:50 pm

Alex Ray wrote:Are all those bent shafts from yellowtail??

Pretty much but we all bent a shaft or two on the reef fish as well.

The first two days I unknowingly bent my shaft on my first yellowtail of the day. I missed some bruisers before I figured out what happened. As it turned out, we had plenty of fish so it wasn't an issue other than the nightmares from missing 50lbrs from 6-8' off your gun :'(

If you wonder how you bend so many shafts on yellows, it's not your typical spot or fish. The reef bottoms out in sand around 30'. Instead of being in the blue breezing the bait on the reef, the yellows there like to come from the reef behind the bait and breeze towards deeper water. When you shoot them, you usually let them burn a run and then let them drag you into the deeper water which is only about 40-50. They figure out real quick that's no fun so they immediately turn around and beeline it towards shallow water on the reef where they feel comfortable. At that point you have a very hot 40-50lb YT that has you straight up and down and is trying to bury you and your gear in the rocks in about 20' of water. You put ALOT of pressure on the fish and shaft. It's very aggressive diving doing all you can to keep them and your gear off the reef. It pretty much takes all you have to try and stay on the surface and getting dragged under and destroyed is not uncommon. :rolls:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby 32juan » May 16th, 2021, 7:03 pm

Looks like an epic trip!!! Way to kill em!
Juan-Carlos Aguilar
Long Beach Neptune
ISDC
32juan
sea sniper

Postby malibujohn » May 16th, 2021, 7:16 pm

Damn John, looks like a hell of a time! Nice to see you are getting out there!
50+ club
malibujohn
sea sniper

Postby Steve G » May 16th, 2021, 8:47 pm

Incredible. Save a YT fillet for me.
Steve G
sea sniper

Postby rene » May 16th, 2021, 9:02 pm

Omg the yellows look huge! You'll have to teach me them camera angles LOL. Nice shooting. How far north were you?
rene
spearo

Postby John Hughes » May 17th, 2021, 4:44 am

It's all about the photo magic LOL. Didn't have to worry about the camera angles much with these fish though.

I've never been to La Paz Rene so I'm not sure how many hours North of you we were. I'm guessing 5-6 maybe.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby NaClAddict » May 17th, 2021, 6:17 am

There’s really something special about getting dirty with some hot dales, especially when they’re over 40!!!! Just reading your post gets me pumped!

Good job John.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby dam » May 17th, 2021, 8:43 am

All certified slugs. What were conditions like, John? Temp, vis? Did you see any wsb?
dam
prick

Postby mikeme » May 17th, 2021, 8:45 am

Awesome John
mikeme
sea sniper

Postby Washington1 » May 17th, 2021, 10:05 am

Nice John!!!!!
Shoot Straight!
Malloy
Long Beach Neptune
Washington1
spearo

Postby Andrew » May 17th, 2021, 11:58 am

The dream lives! Thanks for letting us all live it vicariously through your awesome photos, John.
Andrew
spearo

Postby John Hughes » May 17th, 2021, 6:05 pm

dam wrote:All certified slugs. What were conditions like, John? Temp, vis? Did you see any wsb?

That was one of the best and most enjoyable things about the trip. Normally it's scorching hot down there but the air temps were in the low 70's. I even put on a sweatshirt some nights. And typically I have on average 12' vis at that location when the water is warmer later in the year. We had the cleanest vis I've ever seen there at 30-50'. Clean vis just makes everything more fun. Really nice to take a peek at the reef and other spots and see what the structure actually looks like.

I shot a few nice seabass right before I left for the trip so we didn't even bother looking. The yellows and reef diving was so fun there was no reason to.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby dam » May 18th, 2021, 9:17 am

Damn it, you're on an unbelievable streak of luck it sounds like! All my diving have been shitty the last few months. Cold dirty vis with no fish everywhere I went. Wanna trade? :'(
dam
prick

Postby Schaar » May 18th, 2021, 2:48 pm

Epic stuff John! How deep on the reef were those garropas?
Schaar
noob

Postby John Hughes » May 18th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Schaar wrote:Epic stuff John! How deep on the reef were those garropas?

The grouper diving was really rough. We found a really nice area that had killer structure but we had to punch way down to 15' to get in the zone. :) Sometimes we actually had to do loooong breath ups and work all the way at 20-23'. :ugh: I wasn't much interested in the grouper so I was busy hunting the small taco sized Pargo that are just excellent eating.

That reef diving was so much fun, we did it another day later in the week and had the same results. After we shot that place up, we hit a little deeper spot that was like 25-35'. That place was so jumping with grouper we had to bounce pretty quick as we didn't want to blow them up too bad. We each took a fish or two and then went back for some yellows on the way home to cap the day off.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby dam » May 19th, 2021, 9:19 am

John Hughes wrote:
Schaar wrote:Epic stuff John! How deep on the reef were those garropas?

The grouper diving was really rough. We found a really nice area that had killer structure but we had to punch way down to 15' to get in the zone. :) Sometimes we actually had to do loooong breath ups and work all the way at 20-23'. :ugh: I wasn't much interested in the grouper so I was busy hunting the small taco sized Pargo that are just excellent eating.

That reef diving was so much fun, we did it another day later in the week and had the same results. After we shot that place up, we hit a little deeper spot that was like 25-35'. That place was so jumping with grouper we had to bounce pretty quick as we didn't want to blow them up too bad. We each took a fish or two and then went back for some yellows on the way home to cap the day off.

:bowrofl:
dam
prick

Postby ryan pettit » May 20th, 2021, 3:40 pm

Nice John. Looks like an awesome trip. Love it down there - thanks for sharing buddy!
ryan pettit
spearo

Postby Behslayer » May 20th, 2021, 10:59 pm

Whoa thats a lot of Dinners Congrats. Not sure how you pulled that one off. Must have made one heck of a deal.
Behslayer
sea sniper

Postby chris oak » May 22nd, 2021, 7:43 am

That is the definition of an epic trip! John gave me a chunk of that yellowtail and it was super oily, like they had been eating squid all winter or something. It was the best sashimi I've had in a long time and then I rolled some sushi last night with the leftovers, epic. One time we got into some yellows in december locally and they were the same way, fatty and delicious.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby rene » May 22nd, 2021, 7:50 am

I'm stuck in my house in Canada for 14 days, the mandatory quarantine, so now it's your turn to put some videos out!

BTW, I spend my time making guns, here is a 133 cm single roller :

rene
spearo

Postby John Hughes » May 22nd, 2021, 8:54 am

chris oak wrote:That is the definition of an epic trip! John gave me a chunk of that yellowtail and it was super oily, like they had been eating squid all winter or something. It was the best sashimi I've had in a long time and then I rolled some sushi last night with the leftovers, epic. One time we got into some yellows in december locally and they were the same way, fatty and delicious.

Ya Chris, when we cut those yellows the last day I could tell how oily they were. Everybody I've given that fish to has been raving about it. Not sure if they fattened themselves up for the spawn but the fish were on the tail end of their spawn and most had empty bellies. The one or two fish that did have food in their stomachs were on the fin bait. I'm not even sure if they have squid down that far South on the Pacific side?
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » May 22nd, 2021, 12:40 pm

John Hughes wrote:
chris oak wrote: I'm not even sure if they have squid down that far South on the Pacific side?

Yah I don't think I've ever heard of squid that far up, I'm sure it's too warm for them to even settle out. I was thinking the other day they must be eating winter mackerel. One of my buddies is a die hard pier guy, he told me once winter mackerel are totally different than summer macks and another of my friends agreed. They said the flavor is super oily and delicious and they wouldn't touch summer macks.

Those big yellows always have that sunken belly, I'm not sure if it's because they don't normally get as much food for their rapid growth or what. At sci I'd see monsters that would never come close and they always have that sunken belly, at least in the summer.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » May 22nd, 2021, 2:11 pm

that's interesting about the macs.

I know they have the big Humbolt squid down South there but I don't think the finger squid reach that deep. It would be interesting to see the range of that finger squid. I know they only get it a few places in the world and right here at home just happens to be one of them. When I fished Alaska commercially, all the boxes of squid that we used for bait had San Pedro canneries on them.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby JoeZ » May 24th, 2021, 5:24 pm

Those are some S L U G yellows - glad your still living large - hope the family is well.
JoeZ
spearo

Postby John Hughes » June 9th, 2021, 7:38 pm

Here's a little video my buddy threw together of that trip. Gets my blood pumping a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojq9WpEdh88
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby Nate Baker » June 9th, 2021, 7:59 pm

Wow you weren’t kidding about clear water.
Nate Baker
sea sniper

Postby Bill McIntyre » June 10th, 2021, 8:07 am

I'm proud of the Neptune who has the self confidence to use pink bands.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby John Hughes » June 10th, 2021, 10:19 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:I'm proud of the Neptune who has the self confidence to use pink bands.

Actually he's not a club guy but somebody I have been mentoring. The funny thing is, we all had something pink going on and our pangero was a little uncomfortable with it. Of course that just made us push that button a little bit more :) :gay:
John Hughes
cupcake

Return to California & Baja