Orange County BFT

West Coast represent! Remember be vague on spots!

Orange County BFT

Postby seefood » July 16th, 2021, 1:55 pm

Anyone having luck with the recent blue fin tuna off So Cal lately? I came close on a paddy hopping kayak outing last week, but didn't quite get set up in time to take a good shot.
seefood
noob

Re: Orange County BFT

Postby John Hughes » July 17th, 2021, 5:12 am

all I could think of when you were loading your gun was how hating it you were LOL.

pretty historic when you can see BFT off your kayak here in CA and it must be WFO if even I can get one.

how far offshore were you?
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby seefood » July 17th, 2021, 6:23 pm

Yeah, I have to laugh seeing the last tuna close enough to shoot at swim past right as I’m getting the second band on. They were only about three miles out. Chased them around for about 45 min but had to give up as they faded into the distance, followed by an entourage of power boats that magically appeared out of nowhere.
seefood
noob

Postby chris oak » July 20th, 2021, 11:00 am

Man that's crazy that you saw them that close. Although shooting one with no float and a yak would have been exciting...

What would you have done if you hit a big one and it towed your yak away or flipped and sank it?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Andrew » July 20th, 2021, 1:37 pm

Andrew
spearo

Postby spearthebigones » July 20th, 2021, 6:08 pm

I guess even on a kayak the rules stay the same. Carry your guns loaded and wear your gear when hunting tuna or you'll miss your chance at them.
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Postby Freeryde » July 21st, 2021, 3:35 pm

As was said above if you shoot a tuna it could easily take off with your kayak and you wouldn’t be able to swim and catch it. Have you ever tried to kick 3+ miles in the ocean against currents? Be careful!
Also if you plan to shoot tuna you will need a bigger gun. The 90 could take one from less than 3’ but it is very likely that you would not get a through shot with that gun and then the no bungee would just rip out when it tombstones your kayak
Joe Newlon
Freeryde
kook

Postby seefood » July 23rd, 2021, 3:26 pm

Good points on being careful while trying to shoot tuna from a kayak. They looked to be in the 20-40 lb range so it was likely doable, but yeah, probably not a good idea to pull the trigger on any large models with that set up.
seefood
noob

Return to California & Baja