Mercury Optimax Mechanic Recommendation

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Mercury Optimax Mechanic Recommendation

Postby Jon Davies » February 17th, 2021, 5:50 pm

Late last year I got stuck at Santa Cruz when my Optimax 175 took a major dump. The tow boat captain who brought me back strongly recommended Mike at Dick Core Marine in Santa Paula, as he keeps their fleet up and running and, as you'd expect, they run their Optis hard.

It was a bit of a wait to get the boat in for service (Mike operates out of a single bay hanger at the Santa Paula airport) but it was worth it. Not only did he fix the immediate problem (I was afraid the motor was toast), but he also corrected several underlying issues that had been overlooked by previous Mercury techs.

Mike is a nice guy and *really* understands these engines backwards and forwards. If you can justify the haul up to Santa Paula, it will be worth your time and effort.

Dick Core Marine (805) 525-8044
Jon Davies
noob

Re: Mercury Optimax Mechanic Recommendation

Postby chris oak » February 18th, 2021, 7:54 am

That's a nice resource to know, a lot of the gurus are hard to find.

I was big time disappointed when I had a problem with the honda on my other boat and the tech did not diagnose the problem correctly and wanted to do a head swap. I correctly identified the problem myself and fixed it myself and it cost me a whopping 90 dollars instead of 3k.
chris oak
Enforcer

Return to Boat Maintenance