Who's running AIS?

Anyone who's owned a boat knows what a PITA it can be. If you have questions or solutions help fellow boat owners out!

Who's running AIS?

Postby Jon Davies » April 14th, 2021, 3:43 pm

I have been debating getting AIS for a year or two and finally pulled the trigger on a low-end VHF unit that has a receiver built in ($360). It displays traffic on a basic built in screen but also networks with the Garmin and has idiot alarms for a collision course.

It's not radar but i hope it will beat peering into the fog hoping not to see the bow of a container ship coming at 20 knots. Of course, i still have to watch for non-AIS traffic and other hazards but the commercial stuff is the nightmare.

Anyone have positive/negative experience with AIS?
Jon Davies
noob

Re: Who's running AIS?

Postby chris oak » April 14th, 2021, 6:27 pm

We use it on our work boat, it's pretty cool. You can call other boats by their signal as well. The main problem of course is that most boats don't use AIS so they won't show up and you will still risk running into them in the fog. A lot of the newer fish finders also use it, I think it's more helpful on that.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Westbury » April 15th, 2021, 11:50 am

I had it on my old Steiger thru my Standard Horizon VHF. I really like that radio because targets showed up on a small screen on the VHF and it made it quick and easy to make a call to whatever target you wished.
My current Steiger has a Garmin VHF which also has AIS, but the targets don't show up on the VHF screen, only on the Garmin MFD.
Nothing negative about AIS!
Westbury
sea sniper

Postby Jon Davies » April 15th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Thanks guys, that's what i was looking for.

I went with Standard Horizon on price and like the fact that it shows targets independent of the plotter, albeit on a small monochrome screen. However, if i am running with reduced visibility, i am sure I will bring up the data on the bigger display anyway.

Looking forward to a little less pucker factor in fog. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Jon Davies
noob

Return to Boat Maintenance