Handheld GPS?

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Handheld GPS?

Postby Nate Baker » April 9th, 2021, 6:32 am

I finally killed my old Garmin GPSMap GPS. Anybody have a recommendation on a replacement?
Nate Baker
sea sniper

Re: Handheld GPS?

Postby gringo sushi » April 9th, 2021, 9:07 am

iNavX on iphone and ipad!

Some years back I decided to buy the best handheld I could find so I could easily jump between boats. Just before I pulled the trigger I heard about iNavX from Keith K. At $50 for the app and another $100 for a waterproof iPad case I got off pretty cheap and couldnt be happier. I also have it on my iphone at no extra cost.

When on my boat the Furuno is my primary, the iPad my secondary, and iPhone would be the "Oh S#!+" 3rd nav backup. When out on the skiff I've got iPad as my main and iPhone as backup.

I understand there are subscription capabilities that enable sharing waypoints between devices, weather/conditions overlays etc but I havent looked into the details because the basic app is good enough for me.

Good luck with getting back in good shape. I hope you were able to get you waypoints off the old device before the breakdown.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby chris oak » April 9th, 2021, 9:45 am

Todd does the inavx have the depth readings built in like navionics west coast chip?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby gringo sushi » April 13th, 2021, 7:49 am

chris oak wrote:Todd does the inavx have the depth readings built in like navionics west coast chip?

I've not checked that out. I mainly use it to mark/find spots I already know to make it easier to move between boats. Seeing the other post about that makes me want to check it out though.
Todd Farquhar
LB Neptune
tfarquhar@me.com

“There is one thing which gives radiance to everything. It is the idea of something around the corner.” G.K. Chesterton
gringo sushi
spearo

Postby Steve G » April 13th, 2021, 8:17 pm

I use the Garmin Rino 650, which has radio capabilities and I can load ONX maps onto it. Great on land. I think at sea would be no different with the right maps but as I get older a bigger screen sure would be nicer.
Steve G
sea sniper

Return to Guns & Gear