Spearfishing Wetsuit Reviews

All about spearguns and gear. Feel free to pimp your own manufacturing but be sure to wear flame retardant material if you are pushing b.s.

Spearfishing Wetsuit Reviews

Postby chris oak » January 30th, 2021, 8:19 pm

I am constantly trying different wetsuits as some suits change styles, country made etc. I'm going to add to this thread as I try different suits, if you have a suit that you like, list your height, weight and suit size to hopefully help guys down the road. This way it will show up in search engines. Here's an old thread I found that I wrote on custom wetsuits: http://www.spearingforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2485. I usually get custom suits for work since work pays for them but we are doing a lot of collecting on scuba which is hard on suits.

I am 5'11, 160-165 lbs, I typically fit off the rack without alterations on most suits.

First up is the Spetton 7mm (fishman, dark camo etc). Spetton has sizes closer to american sizes from what I can tell as euro suits tend to run one to two sizes smaller than listed. I wear a size 3 or Medium in a Spetton. The cheaper fishman and camo spettons are made of some sort of soft neoprene, it's not yamamoto but feels as soft as yamamoto 41. In fact both Hughes and I notice that this suit tears fairly easy, I had the same problem with my yamamotos. I'll have to look up the write up I did on neoprenes, but basically the soft Sheico stuff is as soft as yamamoto 41 imo. Soft neoprene compresses easier than other types and after a season of deep water you might find your suit has compressed to the thickness of a 5mm.

The spetton fishman and camo versions have cuffs to seal out water, and I can't remember about the fishman but the dark camo has knee pads and elbow pads and of course a chest loading pad. They are farmer john style, not high waist and have a beavertail clip. These suits last me about 2/3 years but I am hard on my suits because I do a lot of shore dives and it is lobster diving that tears them to shidt. The camo spettons are made a little better than the fishman IMO.
chris oak
Enforcer

Re: Spearfishing Wetsuit Reviews

Postby chris oak » January 30th, 2021, 8:30 pm

I am 5'11, 160-165 lbs
Mako 7mm camo suit. I cannot give this suit a fair review, my buddy bought this suit and he is close to my size and wanted me to sell it. It is a size ML and yamamoto 39. The sizing is incorrect for 7mm, probably due to it being yamamoto 39, I tried it on once and it was tight so you should consider ordering one size up on this suit.

The suit has knee and elbow pads as well as a chest loading pad and appears to be well made. Keep in mind there is a world of difference between yamamoto 39 and 41, a lot of suits are going to be 39 as they hold up better and do not compress as easily, on the flip side they are not as stretchy either in 7mm hence why I believe the sizing is off ie I bet the 5mm would fit ML fine.

btw if anyone is looking for a Mako 7mm that has not been in the water lmk, you would need to be probably in the 140-155 lb range and shorter than 5'11.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » January 30th, 2021, 8:36 pm

I am 5'11, 160-165 lbs
Yazbeck 7.5mm Carbone suit. Size XL (suits seem euro sized and one run size smaller than posted and even the XL is a tad bit tight on me) Farmer john bottom and beavertail top. I got this suit for work mainly, but freedive in it a couple of times a season. Yamamoto 39. This is probably the warmest suit I've tried yet but the face cut out is very small so you will either have to live with it (it lets in less cold water to your face) or you will have to get it altered. This was a common complaint I heard from others who used this suit. Again, a 5mm might fit off the rack with the measurements, but the 7mm is made of yamamoto 39 which isn't as stretchy as yamamoto 41.

The suit is well made, shoulders are a bit tight on me and I'm wondering if I should have gone up two sizes to a XXL. The knee and elbow pads are not as abrasion resistant as I would have liked as again I do a lot of shore dives. Suit has not compressed from what i can tell.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » January 30th, 2021, 8:40 pm

I am 5'11, 160-165 lbs
Immersion wetsuit, size XXL. I cannot remember the make of this suit but it was camo and different from the ones they sell now. Keep in mind this was a suit I bought probably ten years ago and they may have improved in sizes.

This was by far the worst fitting wetsuit I have ever bought and I won't be buying immersion again until they fix it. Even in the XXL the material was so stiff I could barely move my arms and I immediately sold it. The material seemed to be either yamamoto 39 or some sort of stiff sheico.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby NaClAddict » January 31st, 2021, 8:00 am

I’m 5’10 185 and barrely. I bought a cheap Picasso 7mm. It was terrible, much smaller than advertised. Some super skinny guy was stoked.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby grometito » January 31st, 2021, 5:41 pm

5’9” 160-175 lol

Pathos thira 5mm M
Lasted 2+ years before I started to get cold with it early last wsb season
Farmer John probably helps
Overall good suit would buy again, pretty comfortable

Epsealon shadow 7mm M
Allegedly not as stretchy as the fusion
Sometimes it lets water in via the front even with my belt on tight
Wish it was a farmer John or more fitted at the bottom of the jacket

Yazbeck dark tactical 5mm 50
I don’t think this one is as warm as the pathos 5mm. Seems like non core areas of the suit are more like 3mm. Has anyone else noticed this on yazbeck 5mm?
Fits snug but good stretch

Mako 7mm M
I ordered a M but it was too tight. I probably should have gotten an ML. I liked the full thickness farmer john. Neck and jaw were super tight. Only dove it once.

Has anyone tried a polo sub custom w?
grometito
polespearo

Postby chris oak » January 31st, 2021, 5:49 pm

I am 5'11, 160-165 lbs
SEAC T Black 5 mm Black XL
I have not dove with this one yet, but it fits decent. Arms are a little short which I find on a lot of euro suits.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » January 31st, 2021, 5:55 pm

I am 5'11, 160-165 lbs
Seac Tattoo 5mm
Size L

This suit came with high waist pants, neoprene is not yamamoto but feels like yamamoto 39 opencell neoprene.

Suit is nice for a 5mm, but again pants and arms are a bit short. I do not have this problem with spettons but have had it with almost every single other euro suit I have bought. The large fits well, surprising because the other seac suit I bought needed an XL and it was also a 5mm. I use this suit a lot from temps of 65 to about 70. Has supratex knee and elbow pads which I love because they get worked on beach dives.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby chris oak » January 31st, 2021, 6:01 pm

grometito wrote:

I have not but I think Dam has, I've heard very good things about this suit.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby scorpaenichthys » January 31st, 2021, 6:56 pm

chris oak wrote:
grometito wrote:

I have one on order. Will update with a post here after I get a change to dive it. FWIW, my buddy has one that replaced an old Yazbeck, the latter of which I sold to him after putting ~4 years worth of diving into it. He said the PoloSub was significantly warmer and also significantly more buoyant (I think he added 4 pounds to his belt?). Not sure how much of that has to do with the fact that the Yazzy was old and compressed, though.

I'm 6'1" and ~185lbs. I've had a Yazbeck Snyper and a Yazbeck Hamour, both size 56/XL. In 7mm they both fit perfectly off the rack.

I also have a 3mm Rob Allen that I believe is also XL. The length is fine, but it's a little too big around the torso.
scorpaenichthys
noob

Postby grometito » January 31st, 2021, 7:49 pm

scorpaenichthys wrote:
chris oak wrote:
grometito wrote:

I have one on order. Will update with a post here after I get a change to dive it. FWIW, my buddy has one that replaced an old Yazbeck, the latter of which I sold to him after putting ~4 years worth of diving into it. He said the PoloSub was significantly warmer and also significantly more buoyant (I think he added 4 pounds to his belt?). Not sure how much of that has to do with the fact that the Yazzy was old and compressed, though.

I'm 6'1" and ~185lbs. I've had a Yazbeck Snyper and a Yazbeck Hamour, both size 56/XL. In 7mm they both fit perfectly off the rack.

I also have a 3mm Rob Allen that I believe is also XL. The length is fine, but it's a little too big around the torso.

Cool I think it could be a good investment. Is it true you have to pay more for knee and elbow reinforcements? Out the door is it in the $500 range?
grometito
polespearo

Postby Srbradley » January 31st, 2021, 8:21 pm

Riffe 5mm 52ML - not the digitek, the older version. Fit was amazing. I’m 5’11 175lb and it was perfect. Titanium lined - best suit I e ever had and it lasted about 7yrs - but it’s literally melting/rotting at this point.

Jakboeno - 7mm. Had to reorder twice and suit fits but top has almost been an awkward fit. Neck is so tight makes it very hard to get on/off. The reinforced areas on exterior seemed to be glued on the inside. That lasted about 2 dives but hasn’t degraded the suit. Still works but it seems pretty bulky compared to other 7mm.

Yazbeck Snyper 5mm ML -spoke w/ rep who told me what size to buy. After 6 gallons on lube I decided I need to lose another 15lbs to fit into a ML. The large appears to be too large. Suit is very soft and appears very well made. Bottom line is you need to be about 2 inches shorter than advertised and at least 10-15lbs lighter.
Srbradley
noob

Postby chris oak » January 31st, 2021, 8:29 pm

Srbradley wrote:
Jakboeno - 7mm. Had to reorder twice and suit fits but top has almost been an awkward fit. Neck is so tight makes it very hard to get on/off. The reinforced areas on exterior seemed to be glued on the inside. That lasted about 2 dives but hasn’t degraded the suit. Still works but it seems pretty bulky compared to other 7mm.

What size was the jackboeno? at 5'11 165 I had to order a XXL if I remember correctly and I also had to reorder it twice to get the right fit on a 7mm
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Srbradley » January 31st, 2021, 8:55 pm

I don’t remember but I just kept ordering one till it fit (sort of)

The neck and head are way too small. It’s been a tough suit for lobster diving but that’s it.
Srbradley
noob

Postby Alex Ray » February 1st, 2021, 7:17 am

grometito wrote:Yazbeck dark tactical 5mm 50
I don’t think this one is as warm as the pathos 5mm. Seems like non core areas of the suit are more like 3mm. Has anyone else noticed this on yazbeck 5mm?

I’ve noticed this in Yazbeck 5mm suits as well. Stretchy, comfortable, but when I pinch it side-by-side with my 3+ seasons (or more) old compressed JBL ghillie suit it seems thinner right out of the box. I’ve been chalking up feeling colder due to getting older but to read this same observation from someone else tells me it might be partly the suit. Great suit, good price esp when on sale, and it generally fits me well, but it certainly feels/performs thinner.

If only I could find a box of the old JBL ghillie suits in my size...that suit was/is my favorite I’ve ever had and it’s not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On great days I shoot fish and on good days I spook fish
Alex Ray
kook

Postby dam » February 1st, 2021, 2:39 pm

Yeah, I got a 7mm polosub last year. It is really well fitting except for the neck. I only read after that you were supposed to take the neck measurement with 2 fingers against your neck. I didn't and it feels a little tight there. The bigger deal was having to wear extra extra weights. Man, that stuff is buoyant!
dam
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 1st, 2021, 3:57 pm

dam wrote:Yeah, I got a 7mm polosub last year. It is really well fitting except for the neck. I only read after that you were supposed to take the neck measurement with 2 fingers against your neck. I didn't and it feels a little tight there. The bigger deal was having to wear extra extra weights. Man, that stuff is buoyant!

I hear you. I got a 5 mm Polosub and had to wear the same weight I wear with my 7 mm JMJ. If I get a 7 mm Polosub I don't think I'll be able to pick up my weight belt.
email me at wsbhtr@cox.net
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » February 1st, 2021, 5:53 pm

Bill and Dam would you say that it is the warmest wetsuit you've ever worn? Or is it on par with other suits you've had?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Srbradley » February 1st, 2021, 9:46 pm

Alex Ray wrote:
grometito wrote:Yazbeck dark tactical 5mm 50

I’ve noticed this in Yazbeck 5mm suits as well. Stretchy, comfortable, but when I pinch it side-by-side with my 3+ seasons (or more) old compressed JBL ghillie suit it seems thinner right out of the box. I’ve been chalking up feeling colder due to getting older but to read this same observation from someone else tells me it might be partly the suit. Great suit, good price esp when on sale, and it generally fits me well, but it certainly feels/performs thinner.

If only I could find a box of the old JBL ghillie suits in my size...that suit was/is my favorite I’ve ever had and it’s not even close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The new JBL “Vertigo” suits look like they were designed by Mugatu from Zoolander. I liked the Ghillie suits and the standard knife pocket but not a fan of the Mugatu Vertigo suits.
Srbradley
noob

Postby grometito » February 1st, 2021, 10:01 pm

The jbl vertigos are pretty bad. I know a bunch of guys that got them for cheap and they all fit really weird and loose especially the top and they tear so easily. I know two guys that had massive tears the first time they wore them out of nowhere
grometito
polespearo

Postby dam » February 2nd, 2021, 9:19 am

chris oak wrote:Bill and Dam would you say that it is the warmest wetsuit you've ever worn? Or is it on par with other suits you've had?

Warmest for sure.
dam
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » February 2nd, 2021, 12:27 pm

chris oak wrote:Bill and Dam would you say that it is the warmest wetsuit you've ever worn? Or is it on par with other suits you've had?

Its very warm.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby Avenues » February 2nd, 2021, 5:16 pm

dam wrote:Yeah, I got a 7mm polosub last year. It is really well fitting except for the neck. I only read after that you were supposed to take the neck measurement with 2 fingers against your neck. I didn't and it feels a little tight there. The bigger deal was having to wear extra extra weights. Man, that stuff is buoyant!

Hey Dam, you have the polosub with nylon outside open cell inside right? How would you say the flexibility is comparing to a standard Yamamoto 39 riffe/yazbeck/seasniper?
James Grover
Avenues
sea sniper

Postby dam » February 2nd, 2021, 5:42 pm

No, I got that forza tre material with sandwiched nylon and smooth skin outside. I think stiffness is the same. But it's hard to tell because my old suit is several years old.
dam
prick

Postby chris oak » February 14th, 2021, 9:16 am

I am 5'11, 160-165 lbs
My new spetton came in yesterday and I'm a bit disappointed. They were out of the gray camo I normally order so I paid a little more for their dark camo version. The new suit is a size 3 which is the same as my older gray camo. The dark camo pattern is really cool, I like it a lot although it looks very much like a wet harbor seal pattern which makes me a little nervous.

Neoprene is super soft and they use a full 7mm on the farmer john chest area which I like (most companies drop to 3mm in the chest area which I don't understand). The suit is a tiny bit smaller than my old suit, it's shorter in the arms by a cm or so and shorter in length by a full inch at least. I can tell because the suit fits, but when I tried to take it off the material in the front is shorter and I had a hard time putting my elbow there to roll it up. the part I really am disappointed in was in the old suit they used rhinohyde or supatex for the knee pads. Rhinohyde is similar to kevlar without the price and although it's not as strong it holds up well. This works great for reef entries on rocks and my old suit has not torn there the entire time I used it. This new version is regular neoprene with just some plastic silkscreen stuff on it like a lot of suits use. That sucks for reef entry as it tears up easily. It is still better quality than the spetton fishman which I consider their entry level suit but not as good as the gray came I had before.

Suit makers take note, I'd rather have soft neoprene like the spettons (I prefer the soft sheico over yamamoto 39 because I change suits every 3 years), Like having a full 7mm farmer john vs 3-5mm on chest, and rhinohyde covers on the knees and elbows as well as a good chest loading pad. I know it cost a little more to add these features but it's worth it in the price because the suit lasts longer and is more functional for shore dives.
Attachments
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby John Hughes » February 14th, 2021, 8:38 pm

Those new knee pads are no bueno Chris, sorry to see that.

I ordered new 5 and 7 mil suits earlier last year and they are the same cut and materials as always. They have been hanging in my garage all year. Also as always, the suits are incredibly warm and insanely buoyant. I took my last 7 mil that I've worn 10 months out of the year (I'm a puss) for the last 4 years and turned it into my lobster suit. Those suits hold up so well.

I'll preface the next paragraph by saying whoever picks up my weight belt over the course of the year can never believe how much lead I wear. It's ridiculous and not the safest but I like being quiet off the top and I hunt shallow. I also insist on being warm which is why I wear those Spettons.

I did my first dive a week ago in 56 degree water with the new full 7. I wore 30 lbs!! of lead and was neutral at 21' and at 19' I screamed to the surface. :eek: Since I typically like to be neutral at around 16 and since I was definitely not adding more weight, for the first time I tried going for the 5/7 in the Spring. I tried the 7 mil bottoms and 5mil top and went with 25lbs of lead. I was neutral at 19 and still screamed to the surface when I'd come up a foot or two. Also, I was so buoyant on my tail end, my ass stuck up in the air and I couldn't keep my fins in the water. WOW. I went out a 3rd day and put the new 5 mil bottoms on with the 7 mil top and leveled out on the surface as far as how I was swimming. I went with 25 lbs of lead and was still neutral at 19 and screaming up from 17. The water was still 56 and I never felt it except in my hands and feet. Those suits are warm AF but it looks like I'll have to wear 27lbs with a 5/7 combo till I can do some deeper drops to get it compressed. For me that means about 1000 drops to 25-30' before I can drop a pound or two on the belt. :rofl:

I LOVE those suits but MY GOD the amount of lead you have to wear is a backbreaker.

Here's a picture of the suit I wore the last 4 years. The new ones I have are the same model (standard green camo) and pattern as this one.

John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » February 15th, 2021, 8:46 am

John where did you get that knife pocket, did you have it installed professionally or is it one of those glued on versions?

The spettons are super bouyant when new, I think that's because they use a full 7mm on the chest area instead of 3mm like other makers. On 55 degree temps though its toasty and I love it. I had a talk with Dave Freeman last night about weight and I'm going to start a thread on that soon, I just sent a pm to Lance Davis to see what his thoughts are as he teaches freediving classes.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby grometito » February 15th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Good info on the spetton, anyone aware of other full thickness farmer John wetsuits out there? Especially 7mm
grometito
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » February 15th, 2021, 4:20 pm

Just FYI on the Spetton suits. It's one of the only suits that actually fit me off the racks. I'm tall and thin (and handsome B) :D ) with extremely long arms. Most suits come up short in the arms and legs for me. At least the ones I've bought (Spetton) seem to be cut better for guys like me that are tall. If you're shorter and more square with shorter arms, the suits like Beauchat are cut a little better for your body style.

I have Don at M&B sew the knife pockets on. I tried sewing it myself one time and will never do that again LOL. Unfortunately, he's gone up from $20-$40 on those so it eats up what savings I get when I buy the suits on the cheap. Even with that, and the shipping from Europe I still got my last two Spettons for around $220. With the knife pockets call it $260. Still a smoking deal for that kind of quality suit especially when compared to a lot of suits like Riffe that are pushing $4-500 and although soft and comfortable, don't hold up nearly as long.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » February 15th, 2021, 6:52 pm

grometito wrote:Good info on the spetton, anyone aware of other full thickness farmer John wetsuits out there? Especially 7mm

Usually the description on the sites that list the suit will say something like "7mm top, 7mm/3mm farmer john) so you have to look it up. I think the mako was also full 7mm on the farmer john, for sure the yazbek had a thinner farmer john upper which is very common in euro suits.

John I just checked both of my spettons and saw exactly why the fit was different on the new one. Spetton used a smaller cuff for both the legs as well as the upper arms on the dark camo, they are a full cm shorter. Lets hope the gray camo sticks with the other cuffs they used to use.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby grometito » February 15th, 2021, 8:57 pm

I think I’m gonna grab a spetton for seabass season now. I’m 5’ 9” and 160 right now, sounds like M from the size chart. Looks like oak is a M in spetton but XL in other brands so that’s throwing me off a bit. All my other suits are M
grometito
polespearo

Postby chris oak » February 15th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Yah you sound like you are a size 3 in spetton which is medium. I'm normally a Large in clothes and most wetsuits with the exception of the spetton.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby grometito » February 15th, 2021, 10:05 pm

Cool thanks Chris. Looks like Spetton is from Spain. I looked at their catalog and in Spanish it pretty clearly says they dark camo has supratex on the bottom of the jacket and that the knees are printed “LS”. The green camo says it has the supratex/powertex on knees, elbow, and bottom of the jacket. The English translation though is not correct which is misleading
grometito
polespearo

Postby John Hughes » February 16th, 2021, 5:55 am

grometito wrote:Cool thanks Chris. Looks like Spetton is from Spain. I looked at their catalog and in Spanish it pretty clearly says they dark camo has supratex on the bottom of the jacket and that the knees are printed “LS”. The green camo says it has the supratex/powertex on knees, elbow, and bottom of the jacket. The English translation though is not correct which is misleading

not sure where you are picking these suits up, but I usually order from here.....https://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving ... 499-209/sm

The prices vary dependent on the Euro so I watch for a few months when I'm getting ready to buy it and can usually catch it cheap. The last time I bought my 7 mil I think the 7mil camo was $157 and I had the shipping was around $60. I also usually try to buy with a friend so we can split the shipping. Thinking about it now, I got my last 7 mil for around $190 which is pretty unbelievable. The same suit is currently $201 on that site. Even paying for shipping yourself you should still get a pretty good price.

Just don't forget that I warned you on the amount of lead you'll have to wear :rofl:
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby dam » February 16th, 2021, 10:22 am

John Hughes wrote:Those new knee pads are no bueno Chris, sorry to see that.

I ordered new 5 and 7 mil suits earlier last year and they are the same cut and materials as always. They have been hanging in my garage all year. Also as always, the suits are incredibly warm and insanely buoyant. I took my last 7 mil that I've worn 10 months out of the year (I'm a puss) for the last 4 years and turned it into my lobster suit. Those suits hold up so well.

I'll preface the next paragraph by saying whoever picks up my weight belt over the course of the year can never believe how much lead I wear. It's ridiculous and not the safest but I like being quiet off the top and I hunt shallow. I also insist on being warm which is why I wear those Spettons.

I did my first dive a week ago in 56 degree water with the new full 7. I wore 30 lbs!! of lead and was neutral at 21' and at 19' I screamed to the surface. :eek: Since I typically like to be neutral at around 16 and since I was definitely not adding more weight, for the first time I tried going for the 5/7 in the Spring. I tried the 7 mil bottoms and 5mil top and went with 25lbs of lead. I was neutral at 19 and still screamed to the surface when I'd come up a foot or two. Also, I was so buoyant on my tail end, my ass stuck up in the air and I couldn't keep my fins in the water. WOW. I went out a 3rd day and put the new 5 mil bottoms on with the 7 mil top and leveled out on the surface as far as how I was swimming. I went with 25 lbs of lead and was still neutral at 19 and screaming up from 17. The water was still 56 and I never felt it except in my hands and feet. Those suits are warm AF but it looks like I'll have to wear 27lbs with a 5/7 combo till I can do some deeper drops to get it compressed. For me that means about 1000 drops to 25-30' before I can drop a pound or two on the belt. :rofl:

I LOVE those suits but MY GOD the amount of lead you have to wear is a backbreaker.

Here's a picture of the suit I wore the last 4 years. The new ones I have are the same model (standard green camo) and pattern as this one.

IMG_2270.jpg

Your experience with an ultra buoyant suit is hilarious. :laughing-rollingred:
dam
prick

Postby NaClAddict » February 20th, 2021, 7:11 pm

I’m 5’10, 185-195. I got so hosed on my last online purchase that I wanted to get one that I knew would fit. I haven’t been super impressed with some of the custom suits I’ve been seeing lately, especially the price.

I dropped in at Spear America South Bay. I discussed what I wanted with Dave. He suggested the Thira model since it is more durable than other suits, I need my gear to last. The suit fit a bit snug. As soon as I got it fully immersed it fit like a glove, as well as my custom suits.

I was worried about wintertime temps since it was a 5 mm and I’m used to longjohn bottoms. The suit has been warm and held up well.

On a side, Dave has a shower, lube, and towels at his shop. Trying the suit on was an amazing experience. It’s the only way I’m going to do it if I can from here on out. Dave also is able to mix and match some suits for a better fit. Luckily I didn’t have to.
NaClAddict
sea sniper

Postby chris oak » May 20th, 2021, 6:59 am

For those of you guys with the polosubs, what model did you get? I see there are two offered for spearfishing. One is nylon lined on the outside, the other seems to be open cell on outside and inside which I believe would get torn to shreds on a rocky reef entry.

Roughly what was the out the door price on a 7mm? I need a new suit for work as my yazbeck has compressed after about 4 years on scuba.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » May 20th, 2021, 9:43 am

I got a forza tre. The nylon layer is sandwiched in the middle for durability, the outside is smooth skin for that extra warmth when you're on the boat (no evaporation effect, big difference compared to my nylon suits). I would not wear that for shore diving or bug diving. One time, I wore my old sea sniper top and polosub bottom to bug dive, and because I wear the lobster bag around my waist, the limit of 10lb bugs put a bunch of small punctures around the thigh areas of my bottom wetsuit. I think you should get the nylon outside one. Smooth skin is for the emaciated.

This was my order:
1 x Forza Tre Black - Suit
€ 330,15

7 mm
Custom - Man
Double Frog
External chest reinforcement
Knees reinforcement
Long John
Black

Shipping € 100,00
Total € 430,15

I didn't go through Spear America. Not sure how much it would cost there.
dam
prick

Postby chris oak » May 20th, 2021, 10:25 am

Thanks Dam, what does that translate into real money, 525$?
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby dam » May 20th, 2021, 12:12 pm

That sounds right.
dam
prick

Postby Bill McIntyre » May 21st, 2021, 8:55 am

chris oak wrote:For those of you guys with the polosubs, what model did you get? I see there are two offered for spearfishing. One is nylon lined on the outside, the other seems to be open cell on outside and inside which I believe would get torn to shreds on a rocky reef entry.

Roughly what was the out the door price on a 7mm? I need a new suit for work as my yazbeck has compressed after about 4 years on scuba.

I can't help on a 7 mm, but I can get you in the ballpark.

At the end of last summer I ordered a 5.5 mm at Spear America Irvine. I didn't even realize I had a choice of rubber so I just got what Petros told me to get. It's camo high waist with nylon outside, chest loading pad and knee reinforcements,. and knife pocket on the left thigh.. I say "reinforcements" rather than pads because the knees aren't padded like they are on my JMJs. The rubber is protected but it doesn't keep the knees from hurting kneeling on my swim step. Out the door with tax it cost $468.72. He didn't mention a special place to try it on as described above in the South Bay shop so I brought it home where I could get lube all over the garage floor. It fit perfectly on my weird body. I tried it in 57 degree water early this spring and its at least as warm as my 7 mm JMJ. The bad news is that it requires the same weights as my 7 mm JMJ. I guess my only hope is to lose some body fat.

I was so impressed with the warmth and fit of that 5.5 mm that I recently ordered a 3.5 mm. The only difference in specs is that its black. I don't know of color affects price but I wanted to be like Dam. It arrived in about 3 weeks. I'm hoping it will be as warm as my 5 mm JMJ. and require about the same weight. I tried it on in the garage and the fit is great, but I haven't been in the water with it. Out the door is was $436.39.
Bill McIntyre
billie mac

Postby chris oak » May 21st, 2021, 9:57 am

Bill McIntyre wrote:
At the end of last summer I ordered a 5.5 mm at Spear America Irvine. I didn't even realize I had a choice of rubber so I just got what Petros told me to get. It's camo high waist with nylon outside, chest loading pad and knee reinforcements,. and knife pocket on the left thigh.. I say "reinforcements" rather than pads because the knees aren't padded like they are on my JMJs. The rubber is protected but it doesn't keep the knees from hurting kneeling on my swim step. Out the door with tax it cost $468.72. He didn't mention a special place to try it on as described above in the South Bay shop so I brought it home where I could get lube all over the garage floor. It fit perfectly on my weird body. I tried it in 57 degree water early this spring and its at least as warm as my 7 mm JMJ. The bad news is that it requires the same weights as my 7 mm JMJ. I guess my only hope is to lose some body fat.

I was so impressed with the warmth and fit of that 5.5 mm that I recently ordered a 3.5 mm. The only difference in specs is that its black. I don't know of color affects price but I wanted to be like Dam. It arrived in about 3 weeks. I'm hoping it will be as warm as my 5 mm JMJ. and require about the same weight. I tried it on in the garage and the fit is great, but I haven't been in the water with it. Out the door is was $436.39.

Thanks a ton Bill, I'm guessing I will be in the neighborhood of about 500 to 550 for a 7mm which isn't too bad for a custom. I spent a lot more than that for the 7mm at M and B years ago.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby Schwaman » May 21st, 2021, 1:16 pm

I've done the custom route mostly for the last 10years.
First ~5x Elios from italy, the last 5 have been XT Pro from Greece.
The cost depends quite a bit on the rubber you choose( thickness and quality) but have always been very close if not same or cheaper than comparable off-the rack suit, so i never understood why nor more americans go that route.
(With XT i get special rates, but Elios i always paid full price.)
Both brands are great and you can mix and match whatever you need.
Since i am living and diving here in SoCal, i order open cell/ nylon outside for pants to get tear resistance and smoothskin for tops, great for flexibility and greatly reduces windchill on boats.
If i were a shorediver i would choose nylon top and bottom. Or try the forza tre, which sounds great, but i have no experience.
Polo arr regarded in Europe as the most expensive/ best, with Elios a little cheaper and was the standart for my apnea buddies there for decades.

With XT, you can even choose different thinckness on different parts of the top ie. 7mm on torso but 5mm arms and so forth.
Attachments
Schwaman
spearo

Postby John Hughes » May 21st, 2021, 1:59 pm

Update on my new Spetton suits. I've officially switched to both new suits now. For local winter temps 52-60 degrees I'm wearing the 5 mil farmer john bottom and 7 mil top. I don't even feel the cold at all even in the lower 50 temps. I went to Baja where the water temps were 60-63 degrees and that combo was way too hot so I switched to the straight 5 mil top and bottoms. Unbelievably, it was still too hot. I'll never be able to wear this 5 mil suit when the summer temps of 65-73 come around. I guess I'm going to have to get a 3 mil or go back to garbage 5 mil suits like I have been wearing the last 5-6 summers.

For perspective, I get cold really easy and I've NEVER worn less than a 5 mil in any winter temps and typically I don't even switch to a 5 until the temps hit 65.

If somebody is looking to order one of these let me know so we can split shipping.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby dam » May 24th, 2021, 10:21 am

John Hughes wrote:I don't even feel the cold at all even in the lower 50 temps. I went to Baja where the water temps were 60-63 degrees and that combo was way too hot so I switched to the straight 5 mil top and bottoms. Unbelievably, it was still too hot. I'll never be able to wear this 5 mil suit when the summer temps of 65-73 come around.

What the heck... there's only 1 explanation for this and it's menopause. Are you also experiencing mood swings, weight gain, etc? :confusion-shrug:

Schwaman, good tip on the smoothskin top/nylon bottom! An ideal combo for most types of diving, other than lobster. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
dam
prick

Postby John Hughes » May 25th, 2021, 5:08 am

dam wrote:
John Hughes wrote:I don't even feel the cold at all even in the lower 50 temps. I went to Baja where the water temps were 60-63 degrees and that combo was way too hot so I switched to the straight 5 mil top and bottoms. Unbelievably, it was still too hot. I'll never be able to wear this 5 mil suit when the summer temps of 65-73 come around

What the heck... there's only 1 explanation for this and it's menopause. Are you also experiencing mood swings, weight gain, etc? :confusion-shrug:

Wow Dam, I hadn't considered that. I was experiencing heat flashes which is why I've been confused on the change. I'll rush to the doctor and ask him what is going on! :nuts: :rofl:

And apparently the Spetton suits on that site has raised their prices 20%. Also, they changed the shipping to a flat rate so if you get a suit it's a certain amount and if you get two the price doubles. Not quite as cheap but still a great price on a quality suit.
John Hughes
cupcake

Postby chris oak » June 3rd, 2021, 6:56 am

I'm getting ready to order my new suit for work and talked to Petros at Spear America because I had a ton of questions about the different types of polosubs.

Because I tend to beat the shidt out of my suits, I was only considering the Forza Tre and Lined Open Cell. Both come in a variety of patterns but the main difference is that the Forza Tre has a exterior water barrier and a total of 3 layers of neoprene. Petros said this is a super warm suit, it isn't that delicate because if you cut it on the rocks it rarely goes thru the suit all the way but it could happen. The Forza Tre is a bit more expensive because of the linings, but again if you get cold it is super warm and the guys I've talked to said it was the warmest suit they own.

I need a 7mm, so I opted for the Lined Open Cell. Petros said it would be a warm suit, not as warm as the Forza Tre but more durable. At work I dive in a variety of conditions, when you are diving in 5 feet of water pulling hundreds of purple urchins on the reef in swell or diving deep working reefs crevices for specimens you will want a durable suit.

I'll post a full review on the procedures of measurement and a real world review as soon as I order the suit.
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby grometito » June 3rd, 2021, 9:34 am

What type of neoprene are you going with? With a custom fitted suit I would think you can still be warm with a medium density neoprene and have a little better buoyancy profile
grometito
polespearo

Postby chris oak » June 3rd, 2021, 12:29 pm

grometito wrote:What type of neoprene are you going with? With a custom fitted suit I would think you can still be warm with a medium density neoprene and have a little better buoyancy profile

I'm not sure what it is, my guess is it is either yamamoto or a high grade of rubber. The last batches of spettons I had were some higher grade chinese material, super warm but they def compress after a couple of years. I get cold pretty easy, there's a good chance a 5mm polosub might keep me warm for most spearfishing trips. But I do a lot of work on scuba at depth
and in the winter it is miserable cold. I'd rather not take a chance, especially if the 5mm compresses at depth. If it is too warm, I'll wear the 7mm jacket with one of my 5mm bottoms.

I do wish the wetsuit manufacturers had some standard in their suits as many of the 7mm will have a 7 mm bottom stitched with a 3-5mm farmer john strap. On those suits I have always been cold. The spettons were the first suit I used that were full 7mm top and 7mm bottom and incredibly warm. They are very bouyant but after talking with Lance I dropped a few pounds off my weight belt to be negative at a deeper depth than I normally am (for safety).
chris oak
Enforcer

Postby spearthebigones » June 4th, 2021, 11:19 am

I'm 5' 4" and a little overweight at 145l lbs.
https://makospearguns.com

Mako size extra small is the wetsuit that fits me really well. If I get up to 150lb range I have a harder time getting out of my wetsuit both 5mm and 7mm.

I like Mako because most wetsuits in the physical stores do not offer size extra small. It sucks having to buy loose fitting wetsuits. It needs to be snug to keep you warm.

Mako is great because they are super cheap compared to other wetsuits and just as good as every other wetsuit I've tried.
Daniel
spearthebigones
spearo

Return to Guns & Gear